Ripped Entire Nail Out!

... ok.. I was re-wrapping roscoes wound from earlier and i dont believe i missed it!! He ripped out an entire nail and it hasnt stopped bleeding.. theres a gaping hole where the nail was.... does this need a vet visit?

What do i do??

ETA: it happened around 1:30 this afternoon

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Energy11

No Advil. This cannot be used on dogs. You CAN give (1) 81 mg low dose aspirin, two times a day. If you give it, I would also give with Pepcid AC (generic is fine), for his stomach.

Sounds like you did everything right! Clean it good, put some antibacterial ointment on it, and keep it covered with the socks. I keep The Voyagers Canine Booties on hand just for this kind of stuff.

Good Luck and I hope he feels better SOON! p.s. WISH we had gotten snow here! They called for 3-6 inches, but alas, just stinkin' rain :-(

Guest IrskasMom

I have to say it . You Ladies are unbelievable helpful. I urge anybody New here, if you have a Problem that does not requiere Stitches and absolutly a Vet. Come here and talk to this very knowledgeable People who will help you and if they can't , they will be honest enough to say so. :):):)

Guest mcsheltie

We didn't have to go to the vet. I flushed it out with cold water for several minutes (from a hose - hydo-therpy style) And put pressure on it. It stopped bleeding. It start up again, but not as heavy. I put some Quick Stop on it and when it stopped bleeding, I super glued it. It didn't bleed again. If he will relax in crate, I would put him there so he stays quiet so it can coagulate. (Ours was a girl who was a surgical bleeder too and we were okay) Without the super glue it will keep bleeding for quite a while. The trick is getting it to stop long enough for the glue to dry.

First thing is to obviously get it to stop bleeding, flushing is good and then add pressure.

Personally, I would not glue anything. Once you get it to stop bleeding I would wrap it carefully.

If it were me, I would see the vet for antibiotics

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Todd did the same thing to his name a couple months ago. We came home for lunch like we always do and blood all over the floor and couch and dog bed. We panicked and went to the vet. The only thing they did was clean it, wrap it and give us antibiotics. They said his nail probably isn't going to grow back - poor guy that must have really hurt. I found his nail on the floor when we got back from vet. Good luck with your baby - hope he's feeling better.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

This is why I have a lot of super glue at my house!

ETA that I see mcsheltie has this covered!

I also would give cephalexin, and try to have the dog roach and chill out, foot up, to slow bleeding and allow it to stop bleeding.

When in doubt- vet!

I would not give anything that thins the blood to a bleeding dog.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Guest Energy11

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

Staggerlee did the exact same thing a while back. This is from our first aid presentation last year at Mt. Hounds. This is how I treated it. Good Luck. REMEMBER extremities bleed A LOT, nothing to freak out about UNLESS you cannot get the bleeding to stop.

Guest greybookends

Ginny ripped one of her nails out when she was a pup, I also had a foster do this. THIS NEEDS A VET VISIT. Believe me I am all for doing it yourself if you can, but you are dealing with the quick here and a hound could lose A LOT of blood. Also you could have infection set in so you need antibiotics. I would not super glue a gaping hole like this, to much chance for an abscess setting in my opinion.

Guest Energy11

Ginny ripped one of her nails out when she was a pup, I also had a foster do this. THIS NEEDS A VET VISIT. Believe me I am all for doing it yourself if you can, but you are dealing with the quick here and a hound could lose A LOT of blood. Also you could have infection set in so you need antibiotics. I would not super glue a gaping hole like this, to much chance for an abscess setting in my opinion.

I totally agree with vetting the dog if the bleeding doesn't stop. I, personally, have had this happen two times, (not to the same dog). I applied pressure, and used Quik Stop on the nail bed area. I also put them on a seven-day course of Keflex. I am lucky enough to have five different types of antibiotics here, thanks to my former vet/employer. Both healed nicely.

It would definitely be a good idea, for "Devil Dog," to get the vet to prescribe an antibiotic, though.

Edited by Energy11

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Oh yes, I want to add that I have antibiotics and I know how to use them. I hate overuse of them, but I would definitely for something like this, if it ever happens to one of my personal dogs.

Guest greybookends

I totally agree with vetting the dog if the bleeding doesn't stop. I, personally, have had this happen two times, (not to the same dog). I applied pressure, and used Quik Stop on the nail bed area. I also put them on a seven-day course of Keflex. I am lucky enough to have five different types of antibiotics here, thanks to my former vet/employer. Both healed nicely.

It would definitely be a good idea, for "Devil Dog," to get the vet to prescribe an antibiotic, though.

If the nail was still there I would agree, but she said the nail was completely ripped out so there is no nail to apple the quick stop to.

It's 11:30 the bleeding stopped an hour+ ago. I gave it another cleaning after his potty break and applied pressure. He got his cookie on his bed and has been passed out since. His foot is laying on a clean towel.. figured I'd let it air out before I re-bandage for the night.

Thanks all!

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest TeddysMom

I just went through this with Teddy. I soaked it in warm Epsom salts water twice a day, dried it good, put granulex spray on it, then bandaged and baby socked it for about 4 days then he learned to take the sock and bandage off. It healed really well but it was several weeks that it would start bleeding ever once in a while. I also had him on antibiotics.

Flower ripped her nail completely off about 2 weeks ago. Once I got the bleeding stopped, I cleaned with betadine, dried it and then put antibiotic ointment on it. I did not put a sock or bootie on her, as she didn't mess with it much. I used a warm Epsom salt soak also, for a few days......keeping antibiotic ointment on it for about the first week.

My first grey ripped off a couple of toenails while I had him. Completely gone....looked like a gapping hole. I treated his the same way and they eventually grew back.

• 11 years later...

I know this is like 12 years late but this whole thread just helped me and our retired grey Remington. We came in from outside, he got his treat and I went to get ready for bed and came back to a bunch of blood and of course, no nail. I was able to calm him, rinse it and found this thread before applying quik stop and getting the blood to stop (or at least it is very verrry slow). Thank you all!!