Loss Of Depth Perdeption/vision Impairment

Guest Tammyandshane

Guest Tammyandshane

Hello!

I am new to this site, and I have a 5 y/o grey male. I adopted him 1 year ago. Yesterday, he couldn't jump off the bed like he has for the past year, has ran into walls, cannot navigate the stairway, and seems "drunk" the vet ran a complete blood panel, with all normal results.any help, or ideas is "GRETLY" appreciated!

Perhaps neurological? Did your vet say anything else?

Oh, and welcome to GT, sorry it had to be for this reason!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

Possible stroke. Curfew had a MAJOR one at only six. Definitely neurological. To definitely diagnose a stroke, an MRI is needed, but they are VERY expensive. I'd see if the vet can do a neurological exam, and do mention the possiblilty of a stroke. A LOT of vets don't believe dogs have strokes, including mine, BUT, greyhounds do!

Best of luck! Sending you love, hugs and prayers. Dee and The Five

His blood pressure should be checked ASAP. When it gets too high, it causes retinal detachment, which causes loss of depth perception and the kind of behavior you're describing. My experience here is with cats; when the retinas detach, one only has about two days to lower the BP if there's to be any hope of the retinas correcting naturally.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

His blood pressure should be checked ASAP. When it gets too high, it causes retinal detachment, which causes loss of depth perception and the kind of behavior you're describing. My experience here is with cats; when the retinas detach, one only has about two days to lower the BP if there's to be any hope of the retinas correcting naturally.

Great information!! Curfew was also diagnosed with high blood pressure. A lot of vets don't think to check this. When Curfew had his first "episode," the first vet never checked his BP. Dr. Karen not only checked it, but did an EKG too.

Yes, the blood pressure check is a VERY good call! Good Luck!

Guest Tammyandshane

Thank you!I will have his BP checked. I did have a chiropractor look at him. And gave Shane an Atlas adjustment, it helped a lot, shane still seems reluctant going down the stairs, but now goes up as long as I am going up with him. What should his BP be? And how is it taken?

Guest boondog

A vestibular event or BP were the first things I thought of, but another possiblity is an ear issue. Did the vet thoroughly check his ears? I hope he gets better soon.

Guest Energy11

Thank you!I will have his BP checked. I did have a chiropractor look at him. And gave Shane an Atlas adjustment, it helped a lot, shane still seems reluctant going down the stairs, but now goes up as long as I am going up with him. What should his BP be? And how is it taken?

MY vet takes it with her BP machine, usually on the leg. I do mine manually, it is very hard unless you've been trained, especially with an infant cuff and using palpation (*too complicated to explain :-) My vet said anything under 140 makes her happy. Good Luck! Here is an article that you might find helpful:

http://mapleviewanimalhospital.net/uploads/docs/hypertension.pdf

Guest Adrianne

A vestibular event or BP were the first things I thought of, but another possiblity is an ear issue. Did the vet thoroughly check his ears? I hope he gets better soon.

Definitely check the ears. Years ago, our first dog--little Cocker Spaniel mix--acted almost exactly as you describe. We thought for sure she had had a stroke. Our vet diagnosed a severe inner ear infection, gave us meds, and she got better.

(This is when I fell in love with my vet. This happened on a Saturday before we had an e-vet anywhere close by. We left a message with my vet's answering service & he called us right back. He left a wedding he was attending about an hour's drive away and met us at his office to see our little Griffey.)

(This is when I fell in love with my vet. This happened on a Saturday before we had an e-vet anywhere close by. We left a message with my vet's answering service & he called us right back. He left a wedding he was attending about an hour's drive away and met us at his office to see our little Griffey.)

"WOW"!!

Guest Tammyandshane

UPDATE!!!! Shane is his old self again! Its amazing how something so small as an Atlas adjustment can make such a big impact on the nervous system! I am a massage therapist, and finishing a degree in athletic training. I am now going to school for K9 massage. Greys are such magnificent athletes.thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions and prayers! :)