Euthanasia And The Effects On The Rest Of The Pack

Guest Leenee

Guest Hoolyghans

First, I want to say how sorry I am you are facing this decision.

We only had the opportunity for home euthanization for one pet, a cat. We had two dogs at the time (not greys) and while they coexisted peacefully, I can't really say they were buddies. When the vet came, we did have the dogs outside for the procedure but let them come in one at a time after it was over. Not sure how much it made a difference to the dogs but I'm sure it was more peaceful for our cat to be home for those last few hours. He had been at the vet overnight the night before, we had taken him in not realizing how very very sick he was so no one had said goodbye to him. The vet allowed me to come pick him up so we could spend some time with him and came by the house after her shift was over to take care of things.

I do know it was a lot easier on *me* not having to try to drive to the vet & back in such an emotional state, not having to face the people in the waiting room, all the "I'm sorries" from the (well meaning) staff.

Guest alyssap99

I'm sorry you're dealing with this as well. I had long planned to have Greta euthanized at home, but in the end it just didn't work out that way. The vets say that often it doesn't, simply because it's not something they can set up without a day or two of notice. But if your vets are able to do that, or if you can plan in advance a bit more, I think it's a wonderful option.

I heard a fantastic interview on Fresh Air last year with a vet and euthanasia was one of the topics of discussion. She said that there are many more options than most pet owners consider, and that (for instance) if your pet is most comfortable in the car, a vet can perform the procedure there to save the dog the stress of going into the vet's office. I just wanted to mention that in case it's helpful to anyone else. I'm sure the interview is available online at freshair.com.

Best of luck as you make your decision. Having witnessed Greta's very peaceful passing just last week, I feel so glad that we are able to provide our animals with such a dignified end, sad as it may be those left behind.

Guest TBSFlame

We have crossed that bridge three times with our greys and recently with Penny Pig (who we have had for 20 years). The pack does well when one is lost but they do tend to hang close to me for a while. I find a lot of healing laying in the middle of the pack. I do allow them to gather around and sniff the ashes (box) when the grey comes back home. The pack does take an interest in the ashes. They really sniff them. Then they watch me put them in their place of honor. It's like a specail service.

Personally I will only have this done at home unless at the e-vet and there is no choice (have had to do both). We had the vet come to us for our sweet Dally and our other two small girls saw her when she passed and smelled her after. Not sure whether it made things better but for our Greys I think it will, they are such a pack and we only have two currently. Also remember that there are a lot of emotions going on at during the time and if you have a real sensitive girl/boy, it might actually be worse if they are around.

I am sorry to hear about Kyra. Our thoughts are with you on this difficult journey.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We had only had our spooky girl Cash for a couple weeks when our first grey, Libby, had to cross the Bridge. If you had asked me, I would have said Cash wasn't all that connected to her new Pack yet, and losing Libby (our oldest grey and the undisputed leader at the time) wouldn't be that big a deal. I was very wrong. Cash went to pieces behaviorally after we lost Libby, and she didn't really come around again until we adopted her a sister - Toni. And VooDoo and Copper were depressed and not themselves for months afterward.

Due to the circumstances, Libby was euthanized at the e-vet, and the rest of her pack didn't get to see her during or after. If I have a choice in the future, I will opt for home euthanasia.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I want to thank all of you who took the time to reply to my question. It is so helpful to have the support of others who have shared this grief. My decision (if all goes accordingly) is to put Kyra to sleep at home and allow the other two to make their own decision if they want to be present or not. I will followup with a another post to let you all know how it went. As for me, I am lucky to have a heart large enough to fill it up with more hounds.

Guest trevdog

I think whatever choice you amke it's right for you. So sorry you are having to deal with this.

Ossie knew when Jam was sick, and near the end spent a lot of time hanging around him whereas before they just kind of existed together. We opted not do have it done at home and I think Ossie knew what happened when we came home without Jam. He was a bit quiet for a few days and more clingy than normal but was fine otherwise. I think they just know....

my sympathy to you and all touched by your hound.

emily, who had osteo, was euthanised at the vet. my vet has always been there for the emotional support that i have needed, yes, d.h. was there as well, but my vet is just wonderfuland has gone thru this more times than you can imagine in his 40 years of work. we watched out girl gracefully and elegantly go down and my vet wrapped her in a tender loving way. i do home burials. my pup, who has been with emily since he was 7 weeks old and now will be 3 in march did not react to her absence. i believe it is because she was heavily medicated for the last 2 weeks and was physically there, but not in the same way. he watched out for her, stayed away and just knew that things were not right.

felix has come along, started to play w/ toys and doesn't seem as lost with out his leader, emily was the"brains"of the operation. a gentle confident leader who seemed to gracefully pass the torch by her physical absence in the last weeks of her life.but when he sees a black greyhound....he is besides himself, yodeling away wagging his tail. they never forget, just go on!

dogs all mourn in their own way, felix has been o.k., our late welsh terrier sat around totally forlonged stareing at the floor until we got him a companion, emily.

i would not do a home euthanisa since i would cry every time i looked at the spot where my pup had it's last breath.