Heart Gard Unflavored- Discontinued Till 2012

RobinM

Since Beau has IBD he can only have the unflavored heart worm. We do heartworm from April-- Oct.

Heartgard has discontinued the unflavored tabs until 2012. I can not believe it. I did a massive search online and found some pills at Foster and Smith. Even the canadian pharmacys are out.

But get this, they will only fill a script for 3 pills. I had to have my vet write the script for Beau AND Ollie - 3 pills each so I have enough for this upcoming season. Guess what? the pills expire in April- when I will start to give them.

This is going to be rough for all the dogs who have IBD and can not take any other heartworm pills.

My vet has a powder which she is vile tasting that she can compound for us if we need it, but sheesh. Nothing is easy for poor Beau.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hollys2hounds

ugh! :(

Have you tried the overseas companies?

I know my last batch came from Australia...

I am certainly not an expert, but perhaps you could e-mail the companies... and find out more info

Good luck!

Take this information at your own discretion, but, I don't buy Heartgard, I buy the Ivomec (Ivermectin) from the farm supply store here (Farm & Fleet). It's the "cattle and swine injection." I have syringes with needles that can be removed (so you can draw it, but you can also probably take the little rubber thingy off the top of the bottle if you don't want to have needles around the house and just want to use a non-needled syringe).

For a 60 lb. hound the dose is 0.6ml, for 70 lb it's 0.7ml, etc. (so, 0.1ml per 10 lbs of body weight)

Just open their mouths wide and squirt it into the back of their mouth. It tastes terrible and they'll make an icky face, but most just head for the water right afterward and they're fine. My adoption group does this for all of the kennel dogs while they're in our care, and I do it here too (saves a TON of $$$ too...I think a bottle is about $40 and lasts a long time).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I have always had such a hard time find the unflavored tabs to begin with. Carolina and Jake don't handle the flavored one's very well.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

ugh! :(

Have you tried the overseas companies?

I know my last batch came from Australia...

I am certainly not an expert, but perhaps you could e-mail the companies... and find out more info

Good luck!

I did call. That is hoow I found out it's discontinued.

I have enough for this season- sort of.

Sorry to hear that. How annoying. Does Interceptor come unflavored? What about using a topical like Revolution?

Nothing else comes unflavored and with Beau I am so hesitant to try anything new.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

The greyhound kennels have been using the ivermectin for years as have many of my friends who have greyhounds and other dogs! A vial of ivermectin will last you for YEARS and costs about 50$. Most folks put the dose on a piece of bread, top with peanut butter and down the hatch it goes!

I bought my ivermectin at the local feed store, it was 25$ and with all my dogs, it lasts for about 4 years, store in the fridge.

You can also dose them monthly with pyrantel to get the same stuff that heartgard has in it! AND a whole lot cheaper!

Guest KennelMom

Why not just get plain ivomec. Your vet can make sure you are dosing it properly...ours writes an RX for it. We have a bottle that we pour it into that has a syringe that fits into the lid so we can draw it up easily....I think we even got that from our vet, not sure. We used to be able to get it compounded with beef flavor, b/c the plain ivomec is not flavored and not very tasty (judging by the dog's reactions). You can always give the pyrantel seperately as well.

Honestly, I prefer giving liquid ivermectin because I know each dog got the dose. I don't have to worry about them spitting the pill out or horking it up later or dropping part of it and not finding it....One squirt, done.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I agree. Why not use Ivermectin? My goodness, it will save you a fortune. I've been doing it since 1997 when I bought my first show dog, and he's still alive and kicking :)

Most folks put the dose on a piece of bread, top with peanut butter and down the hatch it goes!

I bought my ivermectin at the local feed store, !

Quite frankly, if I was able to give Beau peanut butter and bread, I wouldn't have to be thinking about unflavored tabs!!!;)

I don't care about the cost. I just wnated the pills which I may not have after this year so it's a moot point.

Not that it helps you right now, but did they say why? If they are bringing the unflavored back in 2012 why stop? unsure.gif

I completely understand you not wanting to try anything different with Beau.

When I called, I spoke to one of thie rprsentatives who knew nothing other than it was being discontinued and had "no further info".

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Ivermectin is plain, and is the active ingredient in HG. You don't have to give it with peanutbutter or anything else :)

Just squirt it down his throat :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Merriweather05

Most compounding pharmacies should be able to compound ivermectin capsules or flavored suspensions, which might be a good alternative. You would need a prescription from your vet, and it's not something a normal retail pharmacy could provide, but most compounding pharmacies will ship medications. You might check out: www.taylorspharmacy.com

Good luck!