Based On Phoebe's Behavior, Is It Possible For Us To Get Another G

Guest mpportraits

Guest mpportraits

Hello! I have a brindle greyhound, Phoebe. I adopted her 2.5 years ago from Greyhound Adoption of Ohio (GAO). She is the love of our lives, super spoiled and just adored! She knows this of course. My concern is, when the chimney sweep guy came to clean the fireplace, he spread out some blankets and went outside. Phoebe came over, sniffed the blankets and peed on them. I called my friend, a vet tech, and she said "he probably has dogs and she's being territorial." Well, I would LOVE to adopt another grey (can't have just one I was told and it's true!) but everyone is telling me Phoebe would not do well with that, especially since I really only want female dogs. Does everyone agree with this or is it possible? Thanks!

Welcome!

I see absolutely no reason why Phobe wouldn't do OK with another greyhound. Please be sure to post pics of Phoebe AND her new friend!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It's impossible to say without more info about her personality, but I have met very few greyhounds who wouldn't find life more enjoyable with another greyhound for companionship. Certainly the peeing incident wouldn't be enough to deter me. People do generally recommend not pairing 2 females, but it's really all about the personality of each individual dog. If Phoebe is a pushier girl, you might just need to find a laid back female as a companion.

Really, there are no hard and fast rules, just individual situations and personalities.

Could you consider fostering to see how having a second would go?

What behaviors or personality traits of Phoebe's cause people to say she wouldn't be good with another dog around?

The other thing to consider is what are your expectations. Do you expect the second dog to come into your home and immediately get along well with Phoebe or are you willing to do training/management to make sure things go smoothly and htat over time they enjoy being around each other? For instance, if one ends up being higher energy than the other, can you provide additional exercise or playtime for hte more energetic one. If there are space or food issues initially, can you separate them for feeding or when you're not home until you feel it's safe to leave them together? Would you be willing to use a crate, a baby gate, a muzzle, etc.? If the dogs get along but don't "play" together, will you be okay with that. There are really a lot of things to consider.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

There are very few hounds out there that will not share their homes with another hound. If it's the marking you're worried about, I have 3 female hounds and 1 JRT female and they always mark over each other in the yard but share their home with each other just fine.

NeylasMom makes some very good points. All things to take into consideration. We all live very well here with 10 greyhounds and 1 JRT, so if you're willing to put in a little work if necessary I think adding another hound would be great.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest elisemg

I have an alpha female and always wanted a second houndie. I also wanted girlie dogs. (don't like the boy business) but wouldn't ya know it, a beautiful, quiet, gentle giant of a BOY picked us. My girl couldn't care less about any of the other dogs we saw but she let this boy become her protector! Tora and Hondo are now the best of friends! (and my concerns about the boy stuff disappeared!)

Guest LindsaySF

I agree with Neylasmom's post. :)

If you're worried, adopt a male and there shouldn't be any problems.

Not necessarily true. It's all about the personalities, not the genders. If the current female dog is very alpha and you add another alpha dog to that, you're bound to have problems, even if the second dog is a male.

(I wouldn't let peeing on a blanket be the only determining factor though, depends on the dog's personality in other situations too).

Good luck!

Guest mpportraits

It's impossible to say without more info about her personality, but I have met very few greyhounds who wouldn't find life more enjoyable with another greyhound for companionship. Certainly the peeing incident wouldn't be enough to deter me. People do generally recommend not pairing 2 females, but it's really all about the personality of each individual dog. If Phoebe is a pushier girl, you might just need to find a laid back female as a companion.

Really, there are no hard and fast rules, just individual situations and personalities.

Could you consider fostering to see how having a second would go?

What behaviors or personality traits of Phoebe's cause people to say she wouldn't be good with another dog around?

The other thing to consider is what are your expectations. Do you expect the second dog to come into your home and immediately get along well with Phoebe or are you willing to do training/management to make sure things go smoothly and htat over time they enjoy being around each other? For instance, if one ends up being higher energy than the other, can you provide additional exercise or playtime for hte more energetic one. If there are space or food issues initially, can you separate them for feeding or when you're not home until you feel it's safe to leave them together? Would you be willing to use a crate, a baby gate, a muzzle, etc.? If the dogs get along but don't "play" together, will you be okay with that. There are really a lot of things to consider.

Very good advice! Thanks to all of you! She does have an alpha personality. I will take into consideration everything I just learned from all of you and will work with GAO. I will definatley post pics! I have some pictures of her on my website: http://www.mpportraits.com

She's my favorite subject ;)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

She is very pretty. Who can say why she peed on the blanket? Maybe another dog did first. It doesn't mean anything!

I have three girls and three boys and nobody fights, and I did not pick any of them knowing what their personalities were like before hand. None had been fostered before I got them either, so I really just dove in with all of them. The only information I had when I took any of them was, "Awww, look, what a cute face- I think s/he likes me!". I'm sure some of it is luck, but I also believe a lot of it is management and routine and a calm, relaxed household. None of them are separated except for eating and when I leave the house. I muzzle them when they go into play mode outside (I can tell easily) to prevent accidental nips.

What is your opposition to males? Contrary to what some people think, they do not normally mark in the house (I think some toy breeds do, but I have NEVER had a male dog that marked in my house- even when I have had intact males and females in the same house). Since Greyhounds are neutered before adoption, this makes this even more of a non-issue.

All that said, girls can work together for sure. Two of mine are cuddled up together right now, and one of those has only been here for a few days. She will give a growl now and then if someone jumps onto the bed right in her face, but a simple, "shhh, it's okay girly" and a reassuring ear scratch and she goes right back to sleep, often using the other dog as a headrest. This happens less and less each day as she learns the ropes of house life and sharing her space.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Hello! I have a brindle greyhound, Phoebe. I adopted her 2.5 years ago from Greyhound Adoption of Ohio (GAO). She is the love of our lives, super spoiled and just adored! She knows this of course. My concern is, when the chimney sweep guy came to clean the fireplace, he spread out some blankets and went outside. Phoebe came over, sniffed the blankets and peed on them. I called my friend, a vet tech, and she said "he probably has dogs and she's being territorial." Well, I would LOVE to adopt another grey (can't have just one I was told and it's true!) but everyone is telling me Phoebe would not do well with that, especially since I really only want female dogs. Does everyone agree with this or is it possible? Thanks!

I don't understand the connection between a dog peeing on a dirty blanket and not being able to add another dog to the home. Also, who is 'everyone' that is telling you that Phoebe would not do well with another dog. Lastly, why do you only want another female? (Not that it is a bad thing, I'm just curious as to why this is important).

Guest mpportraits

awwww, what great encouragement! i love that they were cuddled together!!! i am going to have to take a trip to GAO and just get another one....or two ;)

Hi Sheila!

It sounds silly....the reason I want females is because I am way out number in this house and I love buying girlie collars and charms for my girl. I have a husband, 2 boys and 2 boy cats. Having the girl dogs is fun! I am not opposed to getting a boy and by the posts it sounds like it could work either way. I'll have to get to the rescue and see who picks me ;)

Guest mpportraits

IMO, if you don't have a big, sweet, lovable male, you're missing out. :wub:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I'm going to have to consider that...they are ALL sweet dogs!

It sounds silly....the reason I want females is because I am way out number in this house and I love buying girlie collars and charms for my girl. I have a husband, 2 boys and 2 boy cats. Having the girl dogs is fun! I am not opposed to getting a boy and by the posts it sounds like it could work either way. I'll have to get to the rescue and see who picks me ;)

It sounds like you have an open mind, and that's what's most important. So not to necessarily discourage your settling on a second female, but one thing to consider - with a male and a female you can buy matching his and hers stuff. ;)

Our collar purchases from Dewey:

Neyla in "hers"

Neylanewcollar.jpg

Zuri in "his"

Dewey09017.jpg

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest mpportraits

I LOVE it you two!!! Love the matching collars and love the blingy boy collar! I get a lot of my collars at Trendy Hounds and then go to a local small store that has little blingers for my girl! I have a crown Diva (which by the way defines Phoebe's personality) and "spoiled" which she is. thanks for the collar encouragement ;)

Lots of females mark unfamiliar things. Doesn't mean they have domineering personalities or wouldn't get along with other dogs.

My little female has never marked anything in her life, is very shy/reserved, acts like a doormat most of the time ... and really does not like most other dogs. On the other hand, robinw's angel Loca would mark anything that was holding still and most things that weren't :lol ; she did have rather a "HEY! THAT'S MINE!" personality, but Robin took her everywhere and she got along with everybody except obnoxious puppies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi Sheila!

not silly at all, I was just curious. I always seem to gravitate towards male critters. Perhaps it's because I grew up in a family of women?? It really seems like the female critters are often so persnickety and bitchy, while the boys are so laid back and goofy.

Guest LindsaySF
It sounds silly....the reason I want females is because I am way out number in this house and I love buying girlie collars and charms for my girl. I have a husband, 2 boys and 2 boy cats. Having the girl dogs is fun!

I totally hear you on that. Honey is my spoiled little pink princess. :D My other 4 dogs and both cats are male, so I needed a girl in here. ;)

Guest mpportraits

Ohhh mercy girl, could you be any more acurate! I was trying not to say it because I love my girl so much but dang! She is bitchy!!!! But mercy, do I ever love her to pieces ;)

Love it! Are those pits? I am doing a donation of a custom portrait to a Pitbull rescue next month. They are another awesome breed!

Guest LindsaySF

Yup, a pit bull and a pit/mastiff mix. I'd cover them in pink too if they were girls! :rofl

Purple is considered a more acceptable color for boys (or so I'm told blush.gif).