On The Topic Of Corns

Do corns cause on-again, off-again pain? And, is the limping typically worse or become noticeable after the hound gets up from lying down for awhile?

Wendy has bouts of lameness on her right rear leg. X-rays do show some calcification in the knee. She will be gimpy for two or three days, then be fine for months. Her lameness is more apparent when she gets up from lying down awhile. I'm wondering if we're not dealing with an incipient corn and not a joint issue. We're going to the vet on Feb. 6th and I want to have some basis to discuss this issue with her. I cannot detect anything on the pad, but my eyesight is supremely poor.

Any thoughts, advice, input would be most appreciated.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

With my Andy, the pain was always there until we hulled the corn. He would be much better for a while until the corn grew back and he was back to limping all the time. Could be a touch of arthritis since you're seeing some calcification in the bone. Arthritis has it's good days and bad, I can tell you that from experience.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Trip started limping a while back and I could see a faint circle on one of his pads but not the classic inner core of a corn. I worried that he might have something wrong with his leg. I put a therapaw on that foot and the limping went away. I took the therapaw off and the limping came right back. A month later, the inner part of the corn has now appeared.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I have considered arthritis, although Wendy is only 4 years old. She already gets Miss Claudia's Get Up & Go magic powders.

So, corns can be painful even before they are visible? :unsure

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest arlosmom

Kingfish has several reoccurring corns and sometimes they are not very visible. Often he even limps again just a few days after they have been hulled. So I do believe that they can hurt even when you can't see them. We also use a salisylic acid treatment on the pads to soften them and dremel them concave with a special dremel bit that we aquired. It does seem to help but my poor boy stays almost in a constant state of lameness.

Hitchie, who has a constant limp due to his very crooked front feet, has a corn on one of the pads of his really badly turned in foot. I have it hulled about once a month but it just keeps coming back. When I first found it and had it taken care of, I was hoping his limping would ease up a bit but I think it's the way he's going to be. When I felt his first corn after it was hulled, it's no wonder it hurts...it would be like walking with a rock in your shoe.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest arlosmom

Hitchie, who has a constant limp due to his very crooked front feet, has a corn on one of the pads of his really badly turned in foot. I have it hulled about once a month but it just keeps coming back. When I first found it and had it taken care of, I was hoping his limping would ease up a bit but I think it's the way he's going to be. When I felt his first corn after it was hulled, it's no wonder it hurts...it would be like walking with a rock in your shoe.

Kingfish has crooked toes on the feet that have corns too. They must form when their gate is uneven due to an injury or crooked feet. Have you ever added anything to the corn to soften it?

I have found the biggest indicator of corns is if the dog appears fine on carpet, grass, and other soft surfaces. If they are limping on pavement and harder surfaces, even a wood floor, it could very well be a corn. I've seen a lot of corns first present themselves a small little black dot on the pad. Hoping is just a corn as they are manageable.