Holding It For Hours!

Guest Ashleigh

Guest Ashleigh

Hi everyone! I have searched for other threads on this topic, but came up with nothing and now feel like this isn't a common problem. I'll ask anyway! :)

Hank has always been a good boy from day 1 and has gone outside to do his business, and never has in the house. We would always get up from bad and right away I would let him outside and he would do both right away. Since it has started warming up again, I let him outside and he'll wander, sniffing the ground for about 5 minutes, and then wants back in right away. I let him in and he'll wander around the house...I'll feed him and he'll now just sniff his food and leave it.

The other day I had to crate him, go to work, and a couple hours later had to rush back home to let him out again. That day he peed for like a minute straight. I know he has to go, but he would now rather hold it than release it. Any thoughts?

I leave mine out there until they go. Even if they walk back to the door I just ignore them, usually once they know you won't let them in they will wander back out in the yard and go.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I do the same thing. On murderously cold or pouring rain mornings, I will let them get away with only one thing at a time. Then we go out again a bit later (maybe only an hour later if I have to leave and grammy isn't home) to take care of whichever business they didn't do the first time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ashleigh

Tried it and he just refuses to do anything now. He'll stand there for over a half hour, just staring back into the house. I'll watch him from another window an he acts like a statue.

He hasn't eaten at all today, and now I'm thinking a vet check might be in order....yet again! LOL! Hank is going to drive me to drink!

Walk is good, too.

Ashleigh, if I have one who won't go, I go outside with them. I stand somewhere outside, well away from the house, and gaze into space. I don't interact with the dog or stare at him. This gets him out into the yard -- I'm not in the house so he's less likely to hang around looking to come in. In an extreme case I might aimlessly wander the perimeter of the yard (where fenceposts, trees, and other irresistible marking spots are).

Be sure to praise when he does go out there so he gets the idea that it is a good thing! and once he has gone, if he wants to come in you will let him.

P.S. But, yeah, if he's not going and not eating either, a vet visit is in order.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ashleigh

I'll try to do the walks as soon as we get up now. He typically just marks on walks and has never done #2 on them. I did walk through the yard with him this morning and even let him have a toy to play with. I don't think he likes the feel of the ground right now. Everything has been melting and turning to slush during the day, and overnight it freezes and it may be hurting his feet to walk on. He's fussy on where he goes too, and his pooping spot is extremely rough and icy today. He goes to that spot, walks around and comes back up on the deck an stands there whining. He's just being so weird. I don't know why he's so perfect with his bathroom duties to all of a sudden being stubborn about it. I don't want to break a routine, but I have no choice. He was even so good going out in the morning with wind chills of -40 C!

He's just been weird all around. Even started his growling again. I really need to get him checked, I think...

Sounds like he just doesn't want to be out there alone. My first suggestion would be to actually walk him. You could also try just being out in the yard with him. I would also teach a go potty command and then let his reward be coming back inside if that's what he wants.

Obviously if he's not eating/drinking/eliminating or is otherwise acting strange, a vet visit is in order, but this doesn't immediately jump out to me as medical.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Not to hijack your thread, because it is related... but I have another question. (Ive been wondering this a while actually)

While it may be easy to let your dogs out to pee in a fenced yard where you can leave them for a bit unattended... how do you go about solving this issue when you live in an appartment if a short walk/feeding first doesnt solve issue?

Not saying I will have this problem, but when I adopt a grey, chances are I will be in an appartment, and I will be a working woman.

So needless to say, in the mornings I wont be able to just throw the dog out in the morning and wait for him to go because a) wont have a fenced yard and B) cant wait forever because gotta get to work and c) depending on the location of home vs work, may not be able to come home at lunch to let out.

Plan for extra time in the morning, especially in the beginning :) . And consider budgeting and arranging for a lunchtime dog walker for several months. Many pups can "last" for a full workday once they get used to your schedule; not so many can do it in the beginning -- they need time to adjust.