Appt. With Dr. Couto Wednesday

Guest Smiley

I finally got through to OSU today and managed to get an appointment for Wednesday morning with Dr. Couto. We'll leave here around 6 a.m. for a 10 a.m. appt. What should I expect during this consult? What are some good things those who have been through this have thought to ask? I'm starting a list of questions and I want to make sure I get everything answered while I am there. This may sound silly too, but is parking very close? And what's the nearest hotel in case we need it (dog-friendly of course). Thanks so much.

Guest boondog

I don't know what to expect with your appointment (except that Dr. C is very nice :)), but I can help you with some other things. They have a very small, gated lot in front. They will give you a token to get out when you leave if the gate is down. You can also park at the door and run in and ask for a pass to park at the equine building next door. As a last resort, there is a metered lot across the street.

The hotels nearby that I *think* take dogs are the Varsity Inn, Varsity Inn North, and the Red Roof Inn. They are all within a few minutes of the hospital. I'm also very familiar with nearby restaurants. I work about 2 minutes from the vet hospital. Would you like me to PM you my cell # in case you need anything? I can always meet up with you for lunch. Sitting at OSU makes for a very long day.

Well, first, expect to cry. HE is so warm and genuine when he asks "how are you doing?" I was so stoic up until he asked me that, then the flood gates opened.

He'll have a team there. Students, the other oncologists, maybe the surgeon too. (I had Ben-Amotz...he's Israeli)

Smiley will be gone over by a surgeon, orthopod (bones) and oncology (Dr. Couto). They will let you know up front if he's a candidate.

Ask if they think he can survive as a tripod.

What to expect after the surgery.(By the way, if you do go the surgical route, you will get to seem him the next day. You'll have lots of warning about seeing him with tubes, and all wrapped up, three-legged. But not the expression on his face. Diamond was panicked that she no longer had a leg, but that was gone in a day. Trust me........it works out, but 'that look' was very hard to take)

You can ask the price, and also help from the Greyhound Wellness program (financially).

But mostly, they cover everything.

I might see you there! Dr. Couto has given me hope that she may not have cancer after all. I'm just not sure if I'll make it out there by Wed or Thursday. I hope to meet with you.

(say hi if you see someone with a black tripod and a white/black (both girls)

I'm actually at OSU right now--relax everything will go more smoothly than you think--everyone here is so helpful. I stay at the OSU Redroof although many stay at.the Varsity Inn North--both are only a few miles from the hospital. They have their own parking-it's right in front of the hospital. I would recc. You get a GPS--it was very helpful the first time I drove out.

Best of luck--you'll be in the best hands at OSU!

Good luck Beth... I hope things go well & you get the best possible news for the situation...

Hugs

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Thank you for all of the feedback. We had planned to leave Peanut at home and have Pete's parents come over for potty breaks, etc.. I wonder if we ought to bring her in case we stay over night? I really don't think we'll be going the amp route, so I don't imagine we'd likely stay overnight. What do you think?

I am concerned about how Smiley will do-it's a long drive and he's not comfortable. I am still questioning if we should even make the trip if we are not considering amp. I really want Dr. Couto's feedback on pain mgmt., etc. , but I'm worried we're putting Smiley through something that will make his life harder.

Guest Energy11

I finally got through to OSU today and managed to get an appointment for Wednesday morning with Dr. Couto. We'll leave here around 6 a.m. for a 10 a.m. appt. What should I expect during this consult? What are some good things those who have been through this have thought to ask? I'm starting a list of questions and I want to make sure I get everything answered while I am there. This may sound silly too, but is parking very close? And what's the nearest hotel in case we need it (dog-friendly of course). Thanks so much.

WOW! All I can say, is you are seeing THE BEST! The man IS a saint! Good Luck!

Guest VaGreymom

Follow your instincts. There is no road map for what you are going through. Dr. Couto is amazing, and the best at what he does. I think you are doing every thing you can for Smiley. Even though you may not go the amp route, Dr. Couto can let you know if there are other options. The best of luck to you and Smiley. I will keep you both in my prayers.

I make the trip to OSU every two weeks for their chemo. It is 11 hours one way. I took them up there for their amputations and they slept most of the way. I just finished Iron Man's chemo on Dec 2 and Johnny had his amputation Dec 3. We hope to finish Johnny's chemo in February. I believe it is well worth the trip. OSU will recommend amputation if he passes their physical ( blood work and x-rays ). The thought of having the boys pain free :P for another year is worth it to me, and I'm sure to them.

Prayers for you and Smiley.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest mickie37

Hi Beth,

I am so happy that you were able to get an apt. with Dr. Couto. You will feel much better having all your questions answered by the expert. I hope that you can get some good information on pain management. If I remember correctly Smiley has a weak back end and you may get some info on handling that problem. Prayers heading your way for a safe and pain free trip.

Mickie