First Dog

Guest krystolla

Guest krystolla

I grew up with golden retrievers but wasn't in position to adopt a dog of my own (our own, I'm married) until this year. Career in software doesn't leave time for much besides sleep but I do share my life with five lovely kitties and a dear husband. Oh, and an evil turtle. How do we know he's an evil turtle? Trust me, if you have an evil turtle, you know.

Anyway, I'm switching careers to be a vet tech so that my life doesn't need to revolve around the bug reports anymore and it was finally possible to adopt a dog. Hack (Hack Sign) came to live with us in November and he's turned out to be a great addition. He's a big black boy who is shy and a bit spooky. We're working on getting him used to home life and every little step forward is amazing to see.

I've learned a few things about dog ownership that I hadn't considered being a long time cat person.

1. Being a dog person makes you obsessive about dog poop.

Is there enough, too much, frequently enough? Is it the right color, texture, consistency? I never worried about this with my kitties, I think maybe it's a side effect of walking the dog as opposed to just scooping litter boxes. I know I'm not alone in this, I've been reading GreyTalk for a while now. :P

2. As a dog person I consider buying things that you couldn't have paid me enough to touch before.

So what is the relative value of the smoked pig snout vs pig's ear? Do you know what bully sticks are made of? Chicken neck vs Turkey neck?

3. As a dog person, I now consider what items on a walk (even when I'm not walking the dog) are the appropriate height and width to be peed on.

I'm mentally walking the dog even when I'm not walking the dog. Of course, I also mentally consider the scratching post appropriateness of all fabrics and furniture. I might just be crazy.

Welcome to Greytalk! :wave Now we need pics of your big handsome boy. ;) BTW, you're not crazy... just normal gh owner behavior. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Evil Turtle :lol Tell us more!

Welcome to GT, glad you came out of hiding. Now we need pictures of Hack (by the way, I LOVE that name - very fitting since you were in software!)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest krystolla

Wish I could take credit for his name, but he was "Hack" for five years at the track before we knew him. Perhaps it was just meant to be? We thought about changing his name since "Hack" is a hard sounding name for a soft dog but somehow we got used to it faster than we thought of something else.

Of course, he's also "Hacker", "Hacker-Doodle", "Hack-meister", "Puppy", "Furball", and "Dog-beast". Pets accumulate nicknames like furniture accumulates hair.

Incidentally, is it normal to be absurdly proud of your dog's racing achievements, even if you had nothing to do with them? :)

IMG_2191_2.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I grew up with golden retrievers but wasn't in position to adopt a dog of my own (our own, I'm married) until this year. Career in software doesn't leave time for much besides sleep but I do share my life with five lovely kitties and a dear husband. Oh, and an evil turtle. How do we know he's an evil turtle? Trust me, if you have an evil turtle, you know.

Anyway, I'm switching careers to be a vet tech so that my life doesn't need to revolve around the bug reports anymore and it was finally possible to adopt a dog. Hack (Hack Sign) came to live with us in November and he's turned out to be a great addition. He's a big black boy who is shy and a bit spooky. We're working on getting him used to home life and every little step forward is amazing to see.

I've learned a few things about dog ownership that I hadn't considered being a long time cat person.

Is there enough, too much, frequently enough? Is it the right color, texture, consistency? I never worried about this with my kitties, I think maybe it's a side effect of walking the dog as opposed to just scooping litter boxes. I know I'm not alone in this, I've been reading GreyTalk for a while now. :P

2. As a dog person I consider buying things that you couldn't have paid me enough to touch before.

So what is the relative value of the smoked pig snout vs pig's ear? Do you know what bully sticks are made of? Chicken neck vs Turkey neck?

3. As a dog person, I now consider what items on a walk (even when I'm not walking the dog) are the appropriate height and width to be peed on.

I'm mentally walking the dog even when I'm not walking the dog. Of course, I also mentally consider the scratching post appropriateness of all fabrics and furniture. I might just be crazy.

You sound like an AWESOME new greyhound mom!

Welcome to GT and please do share pictures of your boy! Where do you live?

ETA- just scrolled down and saw your beautiful black beauty.

And with a career like his, I'd be very proud too! I added his picture for you. He's got greyt lineage.

http://greyhound-data.com/d?l=1229168

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest boondog

Hack! I know Hack! Well, I never got to meet him in person because his foster mom didn't have him too long. However, we work together and I talk to her everyday. She's not on GT, so I'll tell her that he is doing well. She absolutely adored him. Welcome to GT!

Loved your intro and Hack is one handsome hound :) Sounds like you fit quite well into the greyhound world, we all do these same things :blush

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Harry702

Perfect. I also find myself thinking, upon seeing a freshly peed on spot, "oh, Harry would love that." :puke:lol

Edited by Harry702

Welcome to you and handsome Hack! I was a lifelong cat person too before I got my grey (I didn't even grow up with dogs). I love my new life ... except in awful weather when I miss those good ol' litter box days. :P

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Welcome to GT!! :welcome2

Glad you've found us.

Hack is just gorgeous!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France