Tuna Fell On The Snow / Ice

Tuna, being the sweet yet stubborn 14 yr old greyhound that she is, did not stay on the path I cleared on the driveway (to get to the yard) but instead traversed onto the icy part and promptly fell on her butt. Somehow in the fall she cut the skin right next to her hoo hoo and the hoo hoo area is a bit swollen. Tuna is a hermaphrodite, by the way. It's bloody, but not gushing or anything. I cleaned the wound and put bacitracin on it (which she promptly licked off the moment I was not looking). I have never dealt with a cut in this area, it is nothing major (no stitches needed) so do I just keep an eye on the area or does this warrant a trip to the vet?

If no stitches needed, I'd just keep it as clean/bacitracined as you can.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I had a similar situtation with one of my foster dogs, I just made sure to clean it twice a day(once in the morning and once in the evening). I put on a triple anti-biotic and also sprayed Bactine on it which helped clean it and also numbs it a little. Hope this helps a little and that she heals up fast. :)

Owie. But, yeah, not much you can do besides cleaning and ointment. The Bactine suggestion is a good one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You might put some shorts or something to keep her from licking it. That's about all I would do.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

I like the idea of shorts as well, and this way, you can keep the antibacterial ointment on it longer, too. Poor Tuna! Hope she feels better soon.

Another thought is that it might burn her when she pees. Before walks, I'd put some ointment or vaseline on the area to sheild it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh poor Tuna. That has been one of our biggest fears too. We have found that Manuka honey (wound honey) also works great but you do have to cover it with sterile cloth as it is sticky. Sending sloppy kisses to Tuna.

Is the hoo hoo anywhere near the vajayjay?

~D~

lol.gif

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

The swelling is gone now so that's a relief, that had me worried more than the cut (not sure why, I mean you can't break a hoo hoo can you?!). The cut and bruise are not as angry looking now, either, so she's on the mend. Thanks for the well wishes.