Heartworm Meds

Guest Koalalou2

Guest Koalalou2

So I was getting heartworm preventive for the girls at entirelypets.com but it appears they have closed their pharmacy section. I want to get it from a company that can be trusted to send the real thing and I trust the members here so I figured who better to ask! Where is the best place to get (ie the cheapest but still legitimate) Heartguard Plus online? I tried to search the forum but I have the hardest time finding anything relevant when I do searches here!

Guest TexasGreytMom

I've been curious about this ... we were comparing prices online to our vet's price. He told us that there's no guarantee the online products were stored correctly (climate-wise), etc. and that if we bought them online, the manufacturer doesn't guarantee their product .. if the pups got heartworms while taking it, the manufacturer wouldn't cover any vet bills, etc.

But, that if purchased thru the vet clinic, the manufacturer does guarantee the effectiveness and would cover the cost for any treatment if the pups did develop heartworms while on it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? We weren't sure if this was actually the case, or if the vet was just trying to sway us to purchase from him.

I've been curious about this ... we were comparing prices online to our vet's price. He told us that there's no guarantee the online products were stored correctly (climate-wise), etc. and that if we bought them online, the manufacturer doesn't guarantee their product .. if the pups got heartworms while taking it, the manufacturer wouldn't cover any vet bills, etc.

But, that if purchased thru the vet clinic, the manufacturer does guarantee the effectiveness and would cover the cost for any treatment if the pups did develop heartworms while on it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? We weren't sure if this was actually the case, or if the vet was just trying to sway us to purchase from him.

Boy that is a good question and I would like to hear what other GT folks think. Honestly had not thought about the guarantee. Our holistic vet encouraged us to buy online to save $.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I was told the opposite from my Vet. She said that online companies or places like Costco, where although cheaper, there is no guarantee that they are the real deal. Too many stories about how the product didn't work, etc.

Luckily my Vet was willing to match any deal from a few creditable web sites. I was able to procure a good deal and guaranteed products. She said that these companies, like Heart Guard and Frontline ONLY send their products to Vets and the other "ones" out there are not guaranteed and could be "whatever"...just not a chance i was willing to take...

Guest KennelMom

Your best bet is to read the insert in the package or contact the manufacturer to ask. Though, IIRC, from when we used to use prepackaged hw prevention, what your vet told you is correct about the guarantee not being valid if bought online and esp from an overseas pharmacy.

If you buy it online, you definitely want to go with a company you can trust and that's been around for a while...not a fly by night, cheapest place available. HW prevention is relatively inexpensive, so I just don't think it's worth the risk to save a couple dollars from one site to another.

Guest hlpnhounds

This IS the case. The makers of Heartguard and Interceptor do NOT guarantee their products unless they are purchased from a veterinarian AND owner compliance is "proven". That's where it may get a bit hazy....."proven" means that the owner has purchased 12 doses in 12 months and has had refill scripts in a timely manner. Owners that buy the 6 month supply every couple of years......still not covered.

Many of the products available on-line are expired or will expire before the end of the package usage. Others come from "questionable" sources and may not be the real deal or were stored improperly etc.

Guest eaglflyt

We've been purchasing Heartgard Plus and Frontline Plus from Joe's Pet Meds and never had any problem. Our dogs have always tested heartworm neg. and intestinal worm neg. We also keep fleas and ticks at bay, even in our rural area, using Frontline Plus. In early spring we also use Preventic collars if it's a particularly bad tick year. Shipping has been within 1 week. We've never received products that were close to their expiration date. The website shows the current expiration dates of items in stock that you will be ordering from. With 6 dogs and 3 cats, we have been very pleased with the products and service and the money savings has made sense for us. The products are generally about 1/2 price compared to what we can purchase locally.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest mcsheltie

This is also true for flea meds. Shipping temps can affect both heartworm & flea meds. But I am now very cynical regarding companies following through with their guarantees. I bought Frontline from my vet, it didn't work this year and I couldn't get a refund or reimbursement for the money I spent treating the house etc... from the company. My vet stood behind the product, but I could get nothing through the company. They said I must not have applied it correctly. Pleazzzz... like I don't know how to put on Frontline. With heartworm meds I am afriad I would be told I couldn't prove that I gave a dose each month, unless I had the vet administer it... along with the flea meds :( Or perhaps gave it in front of a notary. I said I was cynical!

Our local pet store has a good price on heartworm and I used to purchase from an Austrialian company. Both told me they purchase directly from the manufacturer. The Australian company no longer has Interceptor so now I Google it to see who has the best price or is offering free shipping. And then I check out the guarantees they provide.

I have used Joes Pet Meds a lot too. And been very happy.

ETA: I have used Petshed also and been very happy with their products.

Edited by mcsheltie

So I was getting heartworm preventive for the girls at entirelypets.com but it appears they have closed their pharmacy section. I want to get it from a company that can be trusted to send the real thing and I trust the members here so I figured who better to ask! Where is the best place to get (ie the cheapest but still legitimate) Heartguard Plus online? I tried to search the forum but I have the hardest time finding anything relevant when I do searches here!

I had to find a new place to order also...didn't know Entirely Pets had closed their pharmacy section. I ended up going to

Vet Depot. Their price was as competitive as I could get at the moment.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest sheila

I was told the opposite from my Vet. She said that online companies or places like Costco, where although cheaper, there is no guarantee that they are the real deal. Too many stories about how the product didn't work, etc.

Luckily my Vet was willing to match any deal from a few creditable web sites. I was able to procure a good deal and guaranteed products. She said that these companies, like Heart Guard and Frontline ONLY send their products to Vets and the other "ones" out there are not guaranteed and could be "whatever"...just not a chance i was willing to take...

I get sort of the same deal with my vet. He doesn't price match, but when I asked him he did offer to sell me the meds at his cost and guarantee them.

I have ordered things from http://www.omahavaccine.com and I believe they are a reputable company.

My vet says the same. I reluctantly switched to buying from the vet (it costs quite a bit more). Sounds like if something went wrong it still wouldn't be covered (I buy 6 months at a time), but I do it more out of fear that the product will be bad than I do for wanting their $ if it does.

Edited by suzye

Guest cleoandisismom

Your vet is correct -- I had an incident with both scenarios --when hookworms appeared after using the HeartGard from the vet, all was refunded (including treatment). Later, my vet stopped selling HeartGard so I had to order from someplace on-line (I forget which place). The hooks re-appeared and there was no working with the company at all. We've switched to Interceptor so that we can order from the vet (they have a similar policy).