Finn Suddenly Lame In Left Rear Leg

Guest deanna

Finn is suddenly lame in her left rear leg. She slid off the couch... which happens daily. But didn't seem affected. Later she had a mild limp, and with in an hour was not using her leg at all. Not in a tri-pod hop kind of way, but in a stiff awkward way that I've never seen from her before. She seems fairly uncomfortable and we're picking up some rimadyl from a friend in the AM on a vets suggestion, and taking her in on Monday when they reopen.

In the meantime, any ideas? I keep finding my mind drifting to the dreaded osteo limp... Totally not ready to go there...

d.

Any running around today? FCE (fibrocartilaginous embolism) often presents asymmetrically, i.e.: one leg or the other.

My guess too. I had a dog whose left side was affected. Symptoms are usually recoverable.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest KennelMom

Blood clot? Dr. C talked about these at a recent seminar and they often present as sudden lameness on one side. He recommends 1/2 a baby aspirin per day to help get rid of the blood clot. He said that typically greyhounds do not have FCE, and it's usually a blood clot. Treatment for FCE (steroids) will usually make a blood clot worse, if that's what's going on. Can you check the pulse in both back legs to see if they feel the same or if one feels weaker?

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Energy11

Could also be arthritis acting up. A lot of greys I know recently, have had some stiffness and limping, showing up with clean x-rays. They've been put on Deramaxx or Rimadly, with great results. Could be that, too. Hopefully, the Rimadly will help, as it is not only a pain-killer, but an anti-inflammatory.Good Luck!

She's MUCH better today. Just gave her a rimadyl in the late AM. Still walking stiffly, but at least she's walking. Whew!! Keeping an eye over the next couple days...

Guest 3greysinPA

She's MUCH better today. Just gave her a rimadyl in the late AM. Still walking stiffly, but at least she's walking. Whew!! Keeping an eye over the next couple days...

oh... yay!! that is wonderful news.. :yay:yay

ok, so she was a little limpy this AM again... she has an appointment at the vet today anyway for her annual check up and bloodwork etc. so we'll talk to the vet about it.

Edited by deanna

Checking to see what you found out at the vet today....

How's she walking now?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

she's walking MUCH better, thanks! in fact, it snowed tonight and she and banjo had their first ever romp in the snow. james watched from the sidelines :wub:

the vet said its most likely a muscle strain... the muscle that allows her leg to rotate outward at the hip.

she's on rimadyl for pain and high as a kite :lol

if she's not right as rain by next week, we'll check out other possibilities.

also, i asked for a thyroid panel... she's been extremely (more than usual) food obsessed, and went bald in the butt in the last couple weeks.

so, looks like she'll go on soloxine this week too.

thanks for all the good thoughts!