Well, Nuts!

Tracey

Okay, despite my humorous title, I'm a bit worried about Reggie. Five days after his neuter and you know, he had that episode with a bad reaction to Rimadyl so he hasn't been on anything since the weekend. Actually, neither foster boy has, but Rufus looks just fine. Rufus also hasn't been licking himself at all and there's only a little redness in his nether regions.

Starting yesterday, Reggie began to lick himself a lot. Last Friday Dr. Martin said it wasn't a big deal if they licked themselves as long as they weren't pulling out stitches. Anyway, Reggie is licking himself more and more. I think it must really be bothering him. I've taken a couple of photos to get your take on how things look. They're not great photos. It's tough to hold his leg up with one hand and focus and shoot the camera with the other, but it should give you an idea.

I'm waiting on a call from the vet, but thought you all could give me your opinions in the meantime. Does this look normal for 5 days after a neuter?

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Suture line looks good, scrotum is very red, I know you know that, could be from shaving the area the hair is growing back at it is itchy, so he licks it, or reaction to the sutures, you know a pup can be allergic to suture material, just as humans, since you didn't state there was any type of drainage, I don't think infection Good Luck

I was going to say the same thing, the suture line looks fine. He may be red from the licking. Maybe put a pair of pants on him so he can't lick the area and see if the redness goes away.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

It probably is normal, from the licking. I'd do what the others said, too ... put a pair of small boxers on him, ... whatever it takes to keep him from licking and irritating the area. By the way ... LOVED the title of this thread! Gotta always keep your sense of humor :-)

Thanks for the input everyone. I just got off the phone with Amber at my vet's office. I mentioned I could email the photos and she thought that was a great idea, so I just shot them over to her. I'll keep you posted as to what she tells me after she confers with Dr. Matz.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

I just got off the phone with Dr. Matz. She either wants us to muzzle him or put him in pants and if it doesn't start to look better in the morning give her a call. Now, knowing Reggie's determination to remove his muzzle (meaning he'll be rubbing it on me and Jason constantly), I prefer pants. Any idea what size works best? I assume I can take up the slack with duct tape or something, but need an idea on best type (panties, boxers, briefs?) and size.

Hopefully Amber (SoulsMom) will see this thread and post pictures of Soul in boxer briefs. I think they worked really well. She bought them for him recently, if you recall, because he had a rash and kept bothering it. I'll see if I can get in touch with her.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hopefully Amber (SoulsMom) will see this thread and post pictures of Soul in boxer briefs. I think they worked really well. She bought them for him recently, if you recall, because he had a rash and kept bothering it. I'll see if I can get in touch with her.

I did a search for 'briefs' and found them. :lol I'll try boys boxer briefs and see if that works. Thanks!

Guest SoulsMom

Yup, the boxer briefs worked for Soul! But I can't post pics from work. I got a boys size medium and large and they both worked. I could only buy them in a three pack so I could send you the 'leftovers' if you want

Yup, the boxer briefs worked for Soul! But I can't post pics from work. I got a boys size medium and large and they both worked. I could only buy them in a three pack so I could send you the 'leftovers' if you want

I need to get them on him today so I'm gonna run out and buy some. Thanks, though! And Soul sure was cute in his. :) Was it difficult to figure out how to line up the hole you cut out with his tail?

Guest SoulsMom

I need to get them on him today so I'm gonna run out and buy some. Thanks, though! And Soul sure was cute in his. :) Was it difficult to figure out how to line up the hole you cut out with his tail?

Not really, I just laid them on him and the held the spot that needed to be cut until I could grab the scissors. Or maybe I just got lucky. Twice :lol

Not really, I just laid them on him and the held the spot that needed to be cut until I could grab the scissors. Or maybe I just got lucky. Twice :lol

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when you were doing that!! :rofl:laughitup That would be a video worthy of YouTube for sure :lol

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

We had a foster who was constantly after his sutures - turns out he was allergic. Removed the sutures early (they were dissolvable) and NO more problems!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Well - looks like It's Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer!

All kidding aside - and I am a man, I understand, Reggie! - hope he feels better and the redness goes away.

And may I take this opportunity also to wish you all a Merry Christmas, this unique group of people, whom I consider sisters and brothers, since we are all on the same wave length when it comes to dogs. I also want to express our thoughts and prayers for you whose pups are not doing all that well, and as such might not be feeling all that joyous - for you, all I can say is know in your heart that you just made a beautiful creatures life all the more beautiful by just being by their side.

Peace to all.

Guest wmlcml6

The support of the briefs will probably help the healing process. Here are pics of Samson aka new Calvin Klein underwear spokesdoggy, after he chewed his neuter stitches open.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Reggie spent last night in his undies and he does look less red today. Not 100%, but better. Thanks for all the advice, everyone! :)

Uhmmm, pictures?

I didn't do as good a job with the tail hole as you did, but I'll see what I can do. :lol