Question About Neutering And Pain Meds

Tracey

As you know, our foster boys got neutered yesterday. They had injected pain meds at the vet and we were told to start them today on Rimadyl twice a day for five days. It sounded like he wanted us to give it to them regardless, whereas in the past pain meds for our dogs have always been as needed. The vet finally said we could see after a couple of days how they seemed without it. I gave them each a dose this morning. I haven't given them any tonight and they seem 100% fine, like they had never had surgery at all. I was just wondering what anyone else's experience was? Is it possible they really don't need any more meds or should I just keep giving it to them even though they seem just fine?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I give them because it's also an anti-inflammatory: Stay ahead of the inflammation, stay ahead of any pain.

Do give with food, etc. as for any NSAID.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gosh, not to give advice here because that could be dangerous ( :eek ), but we followed the script for about 60% of it before attempting a taper or slowdown from our boys' neuters. We also contacted our adoption group for their opinions / experience (we were new to hounds). I don't like giving pain meds if I don't have to but Rimadyl, at least in our case, was well tolerated and the benefits of staying on it for a few days outweighed the cons. But we found we could taper them earlier than the recommended (generic) length. Glad to hear everyone is still enjoying life, and even moreso if you got the East Coast snows ...!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

If it was a spay, I would say stay on it. But with neuters, honestly, we don't push the pain meds and use them only when needed. I personally wouldn't give them pain meds if they were acting normally, but that's just me.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest ThunderPaws

If it was a spay, I would say stay on it. But with neuters, honestly, we don't push the pain meds and use them only when needed. I personally wouldn't give them pain meds if they were acting normally, but that's just me.

Agree. :)

Guest KennelMom

:nod Here too. I've never had a male given 5 days of pain meds for a neuter!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I agree, too. If he seems fine without them, and there's no inflammation going on, it's probably OK to stop them.

Guest KennelMom

It just occured to me that I have had a male given pain meds for 4-5 days after a neuter (as needed) if they were a cryptorchid and the vet had to go "jewel hunting"...but that would be pretty obvious from the surgery scar.

It just occured to me that I have had a male given pain meds for 4-5 days after a neuter (as needed) if they were a cryptorchid and the vet had to go "jewel hunting"...but that would be pretty obvious from the surgery scar.

We had two siblings recently that were both bilateral crypts and what a massive incision. Holy toledo.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest mickie37

My vet gives me enough Rymadyl for 3 days with a boy's neuter. I follow his instructions and give it with food and have not had any problems.

Good luck with keeping both boys quiet for the duration.

Ollie was our recent neuter. Other than a couple of stitches- there was absolutely no way of telling he had it done. He never licked or had any discomfort and was given nothing afterward. Our vet does keep them overnight though. Only greyhounds stay overnight after spay or neuter.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Might be best to give the Rimadyl. They may hurt and you just don't see it b/c dogs are stoic and don't generally show pain.

Our Perri had an upper incisor removed Friday and the discharge instructions said to give 1/2 a Rimadyl twice a day just over the weekend. They are very into pain management in general, much more so than any other vets we've been to, so I thought this was pretty minimal for them. :)

Guest Energy11

I, too would say, five days is more than enough time. but, all of mine came spayed and neutered, so I don't really have any experience with this. Good Luck with him!

Never used pain meds for the boys. Sometimes on the grils. The boys if it's a simple neuter act like nothing happened.

Wow--kinda old school thinking. There has been a ton of research (U Penn) that's clearly shows that dogs recover so much faster with proper pain mangement.

Never used pain meds for the boys. Sometimes on the grils. The boys if it's a simple neuter act like nothing happened.

Wow--kinda old school thinking. There has been a ton of research (U Penn) that's clearly shows that dogs recover so much faster with proper pain mangement.

Link?

Might be best to give the Rimadyl. They may hurt and you just don't see it b/c dogs are stoic and don't generally show pain.

That is what my vet feels as well. I got the big lecture (which is uncommon for my vet) when Joseph was neutered about giving the pain meds, all the pain meds, until they were gone. IIRC it was five days worth altho it might've been three.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I did decide to keep giving them, at least for the time being. Reggie was grumbly with other dogs last night and he has been SO sweet that it was totally out of character. I know when we've had other dogs in pain they tend to get snarkier with the other dogs, so I decided to keep giving the meds for now.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

I did decide to keep giving them, at least for the time being. Reggie was grumbly with other dogs last night and he has been SO sweet that it was totally out of character. I know when we've had other dogs in pain they tend to get snarkier with the other dogs, so I decided to keep giving the meds for now.

Bingo. I'm glad you're giving it. I've found that to be true too and this goes back to the dark ages when vets said dogs don't feel pain the way we do. (Huh?) I couldn't believe it when they said that to me. I thought they were joking, but they weren't!

Bingo. I'm glad you're giving it. I've found that to be true too and this goes back to the dark ages when vets said dogs don't feel pain the way we do. (Huh?) I couldn't believe it when they said that to me. I thought they were joking, but they weren't!

Speaking of the dark ages, you know what's funny (NOT!), back in 1998 when we lived in Ohio we got our Beagle neutered and our Dalmatian/Collie mix spayed and the vet asked did we want to pay the extra $10 each for them to get pain meds. I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe pain meds were even an option. And obviously some people would be cheap enough to say no. I haven't taken anyone in for spay or neutering since then so I was all prepared to duke it out with Dr. Martin if pain meds weren't offered. I was pretty relieved to find out they'd already been given some when we got there and glad to see they were sending us home with more.

Seems that Ohio vet may have been ahead of his time back in 1998. When I say dark ages, I'm talking about 1976 when I was able to have my first dog. I thought he was humongous; he was a whippet. Little did I know what lay ahead of me 4 years later when greyhound #1 showed up. :lol

Guest ThunderPaws

Yea, I had a foster like that, he looked like he had a girly spay scar. :lol Of course he got pain meds.

But normal neuters hurt their feelings and egos more than anything else. :P