Melatonin For Hair Growth?

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

My boy has been off the track for 2 years and still has the baldest butt and belly. On our last visit the vet mentioned that some dogs have had success using Melatonin for hair growth. He recommended 3mg per day.

As I research Melatonin on this forum I see that most use it for a calming effect. Has anyone used it for growing back the bald spots? Also, I don't want to give him something for hair growth that might sedate him or kill his spirit.

Curious what everyone knows about this supplement.

I started that on Diamond but then he started puking (not sure if related) so I stopped and no more puking. He's slowly getting some hair on his butt but (:lol) I guess I don't see why it matters much

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Trentsmom

I started that on Diamond but then he started puking (not sure if related) so I stopped and no more puking. He's slowly getting some hair on his butt but (:lol) I guess I don't see why it matters much

I don't mind the bald butt; it's actually kinda cute and fun to give him a lil smack once in awhile. I'm having trouble keeping body fat on him. All his labs are good, he's just thin- but thin with no body fat or hair = a chilli boy at night, and he doesn't like to wear jammies.

Are you adding to his food to try to get some weight on him?

Diamond doesn't need to gain weight- he's a piggy but Lucky can stand to gain a few pounds. I give him extra treats and other stuff added to his kibble

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Trentsmom

Are you adding to his food to try to get some weight on him?

Diamond doesn't need to gain weight- he's a piggy but Lucky can stand to gain a few pounds. I give him extra treats and other stuff added to his kibble

Guest Trentsmom

My boy has been off the track for 2 years and still has the baldest butt and belly. On our last visit the vet mentioned that some dogs have had success using Melatonin for hair growth. He recommended 3mg per day.As I research Melatonin on this forum I see that most use it for a calming effect. Has anyone used it for growing back the bald spots? Also, I don't want to give him something for hair growth that might sedate him or kill his spirit.Curious what everyone knows about this supplement.

Once the labs came back clean we started adding an extra cup of food per day the past 2 weeks. Sometimes he eats it all, and somtimes he doesn't want the extra; his brother likes those days :P We don't do treats because every little thing out of the ordinary gives him a belly ache.

Guest caiteag

Ty is on melatonin because he is a spook.. but he also happened to be quite bald.. his hair has grown in AMAZINGLY.. and it is bunny soft. He gets 3mg per meal (so 6mg per day).

Guest goodtimekid

My boy has been off the track for 2 years and still has the baldest butt and belly. On our last visit the vet mentioned that some dogs have had success using Melatonin for hair growth. He recommended 3mg per day.

As I research Melatonin on this forum I see that most use it for a calming effect. Has anyone used it for growing back the bald spots? Also, I don't want to give him something for hair growth that might sedate him or kill his spirit.

Curious what everyone knows about this supplement.

I have one that has a bald butt and my 8 yr old son loves it, he calls him his smoothy butt. I couldn't ruin that for him. LOL

A vet dermatologist recommended it for my dear Baz some years ago. Baz was being seen for a separate skin problem. I did some research; as I remember, statistics showed that melatonin helps about 1/3 of dogs regrow some fur to varying degrees. Baz was in the other 2/3. (We need a bald butt emoticon here.) I don't remember the dosage. I tried it on him because it seemed like a "can't hurt, might help" scenario.

Baz didn't show any calming or sedating effects from it, but other medications often didn't have the expected results with him, either.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter