Now It's..............round Worms For Ollie!

RobinM

First we had Ollie tested for worms and it showed "none seen" for giardia, postive for ELISA.

all other worms tested negative. Vet treated with Flagy for 10 days.

Then, Ollie was lethargic and running 104.5 :eek , platelets were low, there was bruising (that might have been a boo boo, but it was right outside his thigh on the underside so it was hard for her to really see it) . First my vet thought it was eurlichia and treated with doxy. All the tests came back negative, redid the platelets, they were normal so we continued the doxy for 10 days.

Redid the stool yesterday to find that he has roundworms. I am bringing in the stool of the others to see what we got going on.

How long after the drontal which he had today will I re-test his stool?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest eaglflyt

Wow! Bless Ollie's heart! Poor fella.

I'm not sure about when to retest his stool, BUT if he's and your others have been on their monthly heart worm preventetive that covers rounds (Heartgard Plus, Interceptor) the companies that make the heartworm preventetive will want to know and will cover the cost of his deworming treatment.

Good Luck and I hope he's *over the hump* of his bout with illness for quite a while. :grouphug

Wow! Bless Ollie's heart! Poor fella.

I'm not sure about when to retest his stool, BUT if he's and your others have been on their monthly heart worm preventetive that covers rounds (Heartgard Plus, Interceptor) the companies that make the heartworm preventetive will want to know and will cover the cost of his deworming treatment.

Good Luck and I hope he's *over the hump* of his bout with illness for quite a while. :grouphug

We only heartworm from April --- Oct.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Usually one would wait 2 weeks after finishing the medication. Rounds are pretty common and thankfully they are super easy to rid of. Don't be disheartened about the "negative" fecal result you have received earlier. No dog is ever truly "negative"--the lab will tell you that there were no ova and parasites seen but, they won't use the word "negative"--it just means that the parasites weren't shedding eggs at the time that you tested the stool.

Guest mcsheltie

If I know we have worms or are dealing with fresh fosters I worm a second time at 21 days. I don't spend money on fecals. If they look poorly when they come in I do it a third time a month later.

My own dogs I routinely worm quarterly.

If I know we have worms or are dealing with fresh fosters I worm a second time at 21 days. I don't spend money on fecals. If they look poorly when they come in I do it a third time a month later.

My own dogs I routinely worm quarterly.

If what look poorly? Poop? I could never go by that, Beau with his IBD has never had "normal poop!"

Pretty sure mcsheltie means if the *dog* looks poorly -- scruffy coat, dog generally not coming into glowing good health. :)

Worms can be insidious little critters. IIRC the marvistavet.com website has some pretty good material about the life cycles and therefore worming schedules for different worms.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ay yi yi yi!

I hope this is it for Ollie and the vet. You've all been through more than enough.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest mcsheltie

Pretty sure mcsheltie means if the *dog* looks poorly -- scruffy coat, dog generally not coming into glowing good health. :)

Yup :rolleyes: that is what I meant. Sorry if I wrote poorly, things have been a little chaotic here lately. And I am beyond tired.

And I also meant that if the dog had worms I don't do fecals the second time, I worm them again at 21 days. The buggers can be hard to get rid of and negative fecals doesn't mean they are gone.

OK. I was just woken up by Ollie throwing up. He had been gnawing on a hoof for a while. So it could be why but he threw up a bit of food. He had the drontal about 3 hours ago.

Now what? I don't know if the drontal came up.

Edited by RobinM