Limping Again After No Diagnosis

Guest jennchendrix

Guest jennchendrix

Hello all. Remy Jack saw the vet back in July for shifting leg lameness. We could not find a cause. Vet took x-rays under sedation and said his joints look good, remarkably so for a seven-year-old who raced for 3+ years. At that time, we also did a second tick titer though he had just had one in May. Both were clean.

So now Remy is limping again and I am not sure what to do. There seems to be no pattern. Sometimes the right hind leg, sometimes the left. Sometimes pronounced when he gets up after resting, sometimes after a walk, but never ALL the time. This has been going on for several days.

Ideas? Any suggestions on homeopathic avenues before another trip to the vet? I am reluctant to put Remy (and our bank account) through more sedation and x-rays if the answer is going to be "ideopathic lameness."

Anyone else dealing with this or have other suggestions as to what might be going on? I think it has been a little long to chalk it up to a minor injury and have checked the leg and paw for trouble and can see none--no corns, redness, swelling, he does not yelp when I rub or press gently on either leg.

I am at a loss and can really use some advice.

Many thanks.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like arthritis to me. Especially being more pronounded with getting up. You can try Glucosamine supplements. If it continues, you might want to see the vet. Have your checked his paws for corns? They can make a dog really limp. Staggerlee has to wear a bootie to walk, because of his.

Good Luck!

I would guess arthritis too, and many times that isin't going to show in an xray.

I am more of a believer in an anti inflammatory than supplements but I would talk to your vet about the possibility of it being arthritis.

I know some of the TBD's present like this as well but I have no experience with them

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hello all. Remy Jack saw the vet back in July for shifting leg lameness. We could not find a cause. Vet took x-rays under sedation and said his joints look good, remarkably so for a seven-year-old who raced for 3+ years. At that time, we also did a second tick titer though he had just had one in May. Both were clean.

So now Remy is limping again and I am not sure what to do. There seems to be no pattern. Sometimes the right hind leg, sometimes the left. Sometimes pronounced when he gets up after resting, sometimes after a walk, but never ALL the time. This has been going on for several days.

Ideas? Any suggestions on homeopathic avenues before another trip to the vet? I am reluctant to put Remy (and our bank account) through more sedation and x-rays if the answer is going to be "ideopathic lameness."

Anyone else dealing with this or have other suggestions as to what might be going on? I think it has been a little long to chalk it up to a minor injury and have checked the leg and paw for trouble and can see none--no corns, redness, swelling, he does not yelp when I rub or press gently on either leg.

I am at a loss and can really use some advice.

Many thanks.

Guest jennchendrix

Thanks for the responses so far. In answer to some questions, we have had the full tick panel done twice (May when we adopted him and July when he started limping the first time) and he is on glucosamine supplements. The x-rays were of both hind legs and hips, but I don't think they did neck and/or back. I have looked closely at both legs and feet and cannot see anything abnormal

So it could be arthritis even though the joints look okay in the pictures?

I would be glad to go the acupuncture route which the vet did mention last time we went through this. I will call him today and see what he thinks.

Are there homeopathic anti-inflammatory meds we could try without needing a script?

Thanks!

No side effects from supplements like anti inflammatories.

Springtime's special with no shipping, buy two get two free ends today and it's a good deal. The Joint Health has chondroitin/glucosamine/msm in it and the Fresh Factors have chondroitin. Either one will help. (no I don't sell them and I don't have stock in the company) www.springtimeinc.com You can email me at Burpdog@msn.com if I can be of help.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

This is from a post I made a couple of years ago regarding rimadyl and what I found researching NSAIDs:

Following is from the Whole Dog Journal, letters to the editor. Although I do not agree with everything Dr. Grant says, I like the “attitude” of her practice. There is some good information here:

I enjoyed reading Administer with Care, about NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), in the June issue of WDJ. I found it to be extremely accurate, informative, and well-written.

I have practiced veterinary medicine with a boarded specialty in small animal medicine and surgery, since 1981. In these 22 years I have seen significant advancements in the treatment of canine osteoarthritis.

I first started to use Rimadyl in 1997 or thereabouts. I was aware of the side effects at the time, and always recommended a complete blood panel prior to its use. I also continued blood monitoring every three months while the patient was on this therapy.

I have numerous arthritic-type drugs and supplements on my shelves, from aspirin, glucocorticoids, and phenylbutazone (a horse remedy) to Arthri-Nu, Glycoflex, Cosequin, EtoGesic, Adequan, Osteocare, and now Deramaxx. When I first graduated from veterinary school, buffered aspirin and phenylbutazone were the only available NSAIDs, and corticosteroids were used for severe cases. There were no neutraceutical remedies that were used at the time.

In 2002, Time magazine published an article on osteoarthritis in humans. The authors analyzed the current rave in Cox-2 inhibitors, and also the non-drug or nutraceutical route. They ascertained that Cox-2 inhibitors were indeed functional in pain relief but had significant side effects, including many of the ones mentioned in your article. Of all the neutraceutical, herbal, and homeopathic remedies out there, the writers research found only the glucosamine and chondroitin supplements to be truly effective in both pain relief and maintenance of joint space width and functional mobility.

I have done significant research in this area and I have found that NSAIDs (including aspirin, ibuprofen, Rimadyl, EtoGesic, and the new Cox-2 inhibitors such as Deramaxx) definitely relieve pain but they may also potentially damage the cartilage in the joint. The makers of Rimadyl, Etogesic, and Deramaxx claim that this isn’t true with Cox-2 inhibitors. They emphasize that as long as the recommended package dose (or lower) is maintained, their studies have not shown damage to the cartilage.

I have not seen those studies, but I have seen the human studies that show that although NSAIDs relieve pain and provide some anti-inflammatory effects, there is no evidence illustrating their role in arresting the progression of the disease. In fact, they may actually accelerate disease progression by slowing the rate of proteoglycan synthesis and exacerbating the loss of cartilage. Basically all this means is that the building blocks of joints are actually slowed in their rates of joining and that the cartilage in turn can break down

easier.

I recommend NSAIDs for my clients as a very last resort, or prednisolone when the animal no longer responds to any of the neutraceutical remedies I use first. I use NSAIDs only when the patient’s blood panels are normal, and when the owner agrees to do monthly blood testing, has read the package labels regarding adverse reactions, and knows all the risks involved.

If I have a young or old patient with osteoarthritis or any congenital or hereditary disease, I generally start them out on Breeders Choice Active Care treats or biscuits or Breeders Choices Active Care diet. I talk to the owner about the need for the dog’s weight loss and slowly increasing activity and walking for increasing time periods daily to help build up the supporting muscles to the joint that is afflicted with osteorarthritis.

I recommend Cosequin, too, but I don’t always use this as my first

neutraceutical because of the high levels of salt in the product. Most of my canine patients with osteoarthritis are older, and may have cardiac or renal disease. Salt levels need to be kept at a minimum in these patients.

I tell my clients not to use one of the generic glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate products because university studies have shown that when these pills are tested for levels of glucosamine or chondroitin they are often not there or nowhere near the levels stated on the label. Furthermore, shelf stability is poor with these products.

Cartilage foods, treats, and biscuits (such as those found in the Active Care products) are offered in their natural form and are not chemically manipulated to extract one or more glycosaminoglycan. I offer this line of nutritional therapy regularly and early in my patients’ lives. Cartilage has little or no fat or salt, which makes it an excellent supplement for all ages and breeds of dogs, especially when trying to minimize caloric intake for obese patients where weight contributes to osteorarthritis.

If the dog is in severe pain I will prescribe EtoGesic (or now Deramaxx) with a meal, along with a cartilage-based food or treat, until the dog’s symptoms improve. I have also had tremendous success with Adequan, an injectable form of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). This involves twice weekly injections for three weeks, then one injection every two to three weeks as needed. Generally I will use EtoGesic and a GAG product simultaneously for the rest of the pet’s life and recommend monthly blood testing or sooner if any adverse signs develop. In extreme cases, I still resort to glucocorticoids.

Putting dogs (especially those breeds that are most likely to experience osteorarthritis) on cartilage-based foods, treats, and supplements to help mitigate the potential onset of osteoarthritis is highly recommended and very good nutritional therapy, and illustrates yet another alternative to treating osteoarthritis in companion animals.

-Katalin Grant, DVM

Long Beach, CA

[Editor’s note: Dr. Grant is the consulting veterinarian for Breeder’s Choice, and is affiliated with Active Life Pet Products, maker of Osteocare, a GAG supplement. Active Life licenses its cartilage technology to Breeder’s Choice.]

For Eliza and all the rimadyl dogs......

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest boondog

I agree with checking the neck and back. Dillon has spinal arthritis that presents as a limp. Acupuncture has been amazing for her and has kept her off of NSAIDs. Good luck!

Are there homeopathic anti-inflammatory meds we could try without needing a script?

Not homeopathic but things like fish oil can help reduce inflammation. Here is a list of non-med things to try: linky.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis