How Often To Get A Dental?

Guest nuri

i took nuri to the vet the other day for his annual check-up and shots. the vet checked his teeth and recommended that he not only would recommend a dental soon, but that he should start getting the dental vaccine. nuri got a dental prior to me adopting him (about 18 months ago) and shows a bit of issues in a few little spots. the vet thought he may be the type of dog that would probably benefit from dentals annually. yipes! not only is that a ridiculous cost each year, but is it truly necessary or worth the risk with the anesthetic? additionally, do any of you know if the dental vaccine is worth it? does it truly prevent larger issues, or is it just over-vaccinating? any info would be much appreciated!

Guest Energy11

I would NOT get the dental vaccine! Recently, someone here on GT got it for their grey, and with horrible side effects. I have dogs, ranging in age from seven to nine, and the only dentals they've had was the ones when they were adopted (all about four to five years ago). I BRUSH everother day, use Chlorahexidine rinse daily, AND Petzlife daily. I also just bought the gel. Good Luck. Lots of brushing and oral care does pay off!

Edited by Energy11

thanks for the info, energy11! i will switch toothpastes and try the rinse. i'm sure nuri will be THRILLED :rolleyes: ! also, thanks for the scoop on the vaccine...i knew someone here would have the real deal! thanks!

Here is the thread that Energy11 was referring to. My link

http://forum.greytal...-borne-disease/

It was really awful what Ady Bea went through. Best advice as was already given is brush their teeth. Also giving CoEnzyme Q10 has proven to be beneficial to prevent gum disease in dogs that are prone to this.

I guess in a perfect world good dental hygiene alone would suffice, however, my two hounds have never been overly patient with my attempts to brush their teeth. They like to lick toothpaste off the brush, but otherwise their tolerance for brushing is fleeting. Consequently, I have always taken my hounds in for an annual dental cleaning.

I adopted Holly at age 2-3/4 and she had gingivitis then. Now 10-1/2, she just had a dental and fluoride treatment in November. Still has all her toofers.

I adopted Indy at age 3-1/2. He growled at me periodically during the first year so there was NO WAY I was going to try to brush his teeth. Anyway, Indy just turned 12 and also had a dental and fluoride treatment in November. Still has all his teeth.

Much probably depends on how receptive the dog is and the owners dedication to brushing. Fortunately, my vet is quite grey savvy so I'm quite comfortable taking my hounds in for dentals. To me, a healthy mouth is worth the expense.

Guest shanesmom

I think that how often a dog needs a dental depends on the dog. My first grey got one annually and really needed it too. I think that because of the dentals and care at home, he never did lose any teeth. Plaque quickly built up on his teeth though and his breath was horrible before his dentals. My current grey Elton was 9 last month and does not need one and his breath is really not too bad. Vet says his teeth and gums are in much better condition that most greys he treats.

Only you can decide whether the dental vaccine is the right choice for your dog.

Duncan does get the porphyromonous vaccine. His 3rd yearly is just around the corner. I am not what I would consider an "over vaccinator". Last week, he was at the vet for his yearly stuff. He got rabies, the flu vaccine, and none of the other stuff.

I chose the dental vaccine for Duncan because he got a cleaning just a couple of days before we adopted him. His teeth didn't look great. He ended up needing surgery soon after we adopted him. We had our vet clean his teeth again. They looked better, but not great. His gums stayed inflamed.

We moved to a raw diet. Most people will tell you that a raw diet takes care of all dental woes. It surely took care of a lot of issues with Duncan, but his teeth/gums were still not wonderful.

We elected for Duncan to have the dental vaccine. He had no side effects whatsoever. His teeth looked great until I decided he didn't need the vaccine last year. He is scheduled for a cleaning just before Christmas. He didn't need a cleaning for 3 years, and might not even need that if I had kept up with the vaccine.

The porphyromonous vaccine is meant to protect the gums. That is where disease enters the body. When this bacteria hits the blood stream, it can attach to the valves of the heart. That is called bacterial endocarditis, and it compromises the functioning of the heart. If your dog has a perfect heart, the bacteria is very unlikely to attach. If not, it can attach. (This is why people with mitral valve prolapse take anti-biotics prior to getting their teeth cleaned.) The concern with greyhounds in particular is that a heart murmur is a common finding. Heart murmurs may be considered normal in greyhounds, but they do allow the bacteria to attach to the heart valves.

Just thought you might like to hear the other point of view.

Guest mcsheltie

Only you can decide whether the dental vaccine is the right choice for your dog.

Duncan does get the porphyromonous vaccine. His 3rd yearly is just around the corner. I am not what I would consider an "over vaccinator". Last week, he was at the vet for his yearly stuff. He got rabies, the flu vaccine, and none of the other stuff.

I chose the dental vaccine for Duncan because he got a cleaning just a couple of days before we adopted him. His teeth didn't look great. He ended up needing surgery soon after we adopted him. We had our vet clean his teeth again. They looked better, but not great. His gums stayed inflamed.

We moved to a raw diet. Most people will tell you that a raw diet takes care of all dental woes. It surely took care of a lot of issues with Duncan, but his teeth/gums were still not wonderful.

We elected for Duncan to have the dental vaccine. He had no side effects whatsoever. His teeth looked great until I decided he didn't need the vaccine last year. He is scheduled for a cleaning just before Christmas. He didn't need a cleaning for 3 years, and might not even need that if I had kept up with the vaccine.

The porphyromonous vaccine is meant to protect the gums. That is where disease enters the body. When this bacteria hits the blood stream, it can attach to the valves of the heart. That is called bacterial endocarditis, and it compromises the functioning of the heart. If your dog has a perfect heart, the bacteria is very unlikely to attach. If not, it can attach. (This is why people with mitral valve prolapse take anti-biotics prior to getting their teeth cleaned.) The concern with greyhounds in particular is that a heart murmur is a common finding. Heart murmurs may be considered normal in greyhounds, but they do allow the bacteria to attach to the heart valves.

Just thought you might like to hear the other point of view.

Do you have any links on this you can share?

Thanks!

This basic info on bacterial endocarditis comes from articles related to humans. In this case, humans and dogs are affected in the same ways.

This has to do with pediatric problems. The first couple of paragraphs are pretty good.

http://www.csun.edu/~hcmth011/chaser/article2.html

This one is more specific about the how and why of bacterial endocarditis. It is a bit more "medical speak".

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980201ap/taubert.html

This one speaks about porphyromonous:

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/expert_columns/Charles_Martin/heart-gum-disease.html

Murmurs in normal greyhounds (check question #2):

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2376.htm

Is this what you wanted?

I've had Jet going on 9 years. She's never had a dental with me. She's close to needing one, but it will NOT be done here and I'm not sure I want to put her under at 11+ years old just for a dental. Marrow bones do wonders for her, we just can't find them here anymore and she's not so thrilled about chewing on other raw bones and turkey necks don't agree with her.

Jet was not even 2 when she was retired and I'm not sure if she had a dental or not before being adopted out.

Ryan has been here 7 years and not had a dental. Same with him and marrow bones. I don't recall seeing any paperwork for a dental on Ryan and the group gave me everything they had from/for him.

Guest Energy11

Wow, you sound like us! No dentals here either, since adoption. Guess it is the daily brushing, and the Petzlife gel and spray :-))) I spend A LOT of time in those five mouths, but it is worth it!

Guest mcsheltie

This basic info on bacterial endocarditis comes from articles related to humans. In this case, humans and dogs are affected in the same ways.

This has to do with pediatric problems. The first couple of paragraphs are pretty good.

http://www.csun.edu/~hcmth011/chaser/article2.html

This one is more specific about the how and why of bacterial endocarditis. It is a bit more "medical speak".

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980201ap/taubert.html

This one speaks about porphyromonous:

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/expert_columns/Charles_Martin/heart-gum-disease.html

Murmurs in normal greyhounds (check question #2):

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2376.htm

Is this what you wanted?

Thanks, interesting stuff. I am interested in the efficacy and safety of the vaccine. I am very leary of new vaccines. I was wondering if you had information on how well it was working. One site I looked at said immune disease was a side affect, they listed symptoms and said to contact Pfizer and your vet should any occur. I looked on Pfizer's web site and they said -

* Notice: This product license is conditional. Efficacy and/or potency of this product have not been fully demonstrated.

But the results you had sound very positive. Are you going to continue with it?

Some dogs don't need dentals very often, and some like my Polli needed 4 in one year and I brushed her teeth every single night. Her teeth were the worst ever.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest spider9174

thanks for the info, energy11! i will switch toothpastes and try the rinse. i'm sure nuri will be THRILLED :rolleyes: ! also, thanks for the scoop on the vaccine...i knew someone here would have the real deal! thanks!

Have you considered giving him Raw bones? either a marrow bone or turkey necks? They are great for teeth and grinding against the bone will help pull off some of the tartar.

Also...if you are thinking about a dental, you might want to consider taking him to Westosha (we met at the kennel when you sister was there adopting, I also knew nuri as McMullen when Sue P had him.) The cost will be less than if you had your vet do it and they are very well versed in anesthesia.

natasha