Bad Breath

Miles teeth aren't good, the vet pulled 2 out and said that most of them are receding of the gums. I know he can't use Scope or Listerine :lol:lol but is there something that could help. He really has bad breath.

Thanks

Shirley

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Brushing his teeth to remove the stink-producing bacteria (that are also damaging his teeth and gums) is the best way to address this problem. CET dog toothpaste and a soft or extra soft human toothbrush work best for me and my dogs. Our vets have said if we can at least brush the cheek-sides of the teeth, that will be great. Insides are harder to get and don't tend to build up as much calculus. Ideally, you'd brush every day, but at least every 3 days will help.

Edited by SusanP

Guest Energy11

Hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball or cosmetic pad like Saved mentioned, or Chlorhexadine rinse. I use both on Staggerlee's gums, as well as brushing daily with CET toothpaste. You can get the Chlorhexadine rinse online.

Good Luck!

Go easy on the Hydrogen peroxide, as it is pretty rough on the gums. Occasional use is ok, but I sure wouldn't recommend using it daily. For my patients that insist on using it, I recommend diluting it 50:50 with water.

And be aware that Chlorhexidine (CHX) rinses can cause brown staining of the teeth. CHX is indicated for

treatment of gingivitis (infection of the gums) and is not approved for treatment of periodontitis (infection of the bone

around the teeth), because it does not stay present on the periodontal pocket (the space under the gum, next to the tooth).

That said, CHX rinses are wonderful for killing oral bacteria and will help with reducing the number of oral bacteria that cause

malodor, and will help keep the gums healthy if gingivitis is a problem.

CHX breaks down when exposed to light. When supplied by script for human use, it's provided in a brown, light-blocking bottle. When I've seen CHX rinses in pet shops, it's always been in a clear bottle, which doesn't make any sense to me.

You may want to stop in a local dental office, explain what you're planning to use the CHX rinse for, and see if they'll provide it for you. It comes as many different brand names (Peridex, Periogard, etc), but all will be a 0.12% Chlorhexidine solution. All the different human brands seem to have a minty/anise type flavor. It usually runs between $8 and $22/bottle, depending upon how much the dental office marks it up.

Hope this helps,

Mary

Registered Dental Hygienist and Greyhound Lover (not necessarily in that order!)

Guest Energy11
Go easy on the Hydrogen peroxide, as it is pretty rough on the gums. Occasional use is ok, but I sure wouldn't recommend using it daily. For my patients that insist on using it, I recommend diluting it 50:50 with water.

And be aware that Chlorhexidine (CHX) rinses can cause brown staining of the teeth. CHX is indicated for

treatment of gingivitis (infection of the gums) and is not approved for treatment of periodontitis (infection of the bone

around the teeth), because it does not stay present on the periodontal pocket (the space under the gum, next to the tooth).

That said, CHX rinses are wonderful for killing oral bacteria and will help with reducing the number of oral bacteria that cause

malodor, and will help keep the gums healthy if gingivitis is a problem.

CHX breaks down when exposed to light. When supplied by script for human use, it's provided in a brown, light-blocking bottle. When I've seen CHX rinses in pet shops, it's always been in a clear bottle, which doesn't make any sense to me.

You may want to stop in a local dental office, explain what you're planning to use the CHX rinse for, and see if they'll provide it for you. It comes as many different brand names (Peridex, Periogard, etc), but all will be a 0.12% Chlorhexidine solution. All the different human brands seem to have a minty/anise type flavor. It usually runs between $8 and $22/bottle, depending upon how much the dental office marks it up.

Hope this helps,

Mary

Registered Dental Hygienist and Greyhound Lover (not necessarily in that order!)

I use the CHX for Staggerlee's ginvititis, mainly, but do use it after brushing all of their teeth also. EXCELLENT luck with all my oral hygiene here. In between all of this, I use PetzLife oral care spray, which, believe it or not, does get rid of most of the plaque. A HUGE piece that was on one of Staggerlee's canines, just completely fell off the other day. Thanks for the dental info! Yes, as you mentioned, the CHX I have is in a regular plastic bottle. I will be taking it off the counter and keeping it in the cabinet!

Guest mcsheltie

We use Petzlife. And am VERY pleased with the results.

I have one girl who is not able to have a dental due to other health problems. Her teeth were nasty. No extractions needed, but heavy plaque build up and her breath could stop a train.

I followed the directions on their web site. After about three weeks her breath is good and the plaque is coming off. She had very red gums over the left premolars and now the redness has gone away. It will be about four more months until her dental can be scheduled. But I am not in panic over her mouth any longer. It is good stuff!

I have one girl who is not able to have a dental due to other health problems. Her teeth were nasty. No extractions needed, but heavy plaque build up and her breath could stop a train.

I followed the directions on their web site. After about three weeks her breath is good and the plaque is coming off. She had very red gums over the left premolars and now the redness has gone away. It will be about four more months until her dental can be scheduled. But I am not in panic over her mouth any longer. It is good stuff!

Were can I get the Petzlife ?

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Guest IHeartDogs

Were can I get the Petzlife ?

This is the cheapest place i've found it for $14.99. At Petsmart they sell it for $29.99!

http://www.happydogplace.com/dogs/index.php?products_id=1287

Their bully sticks are greyt too, no smell to them and good price.

Petzlife oral care gel works better imho than the spray. the gel stays put longer. Put it on after last potty break if you have a big problem every day or two and then do it every few days. I really like it. My vet said the spray is more for breath and the gel is better for plaque.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Energy11
We use Petzlife Oral Care Gel by brushing all dog's teeth with it daily ... or nearly daily. We are totally pleased with the results.

What a great idea! I will do that!