Open Sores

RobinM

Because Ollie is so thin he has what is equilient to bed sores. They were noted by vet day of neuter/dental and I guess were cleaned up. Today I noticed the one on his left hip is opened again although he is laying on nothing but soft beds.

OH wait a minute- he did decide to lay on the wood deck to get some sun before I could get the beds out there in time. May be that's when it happened. Anyway, other than spraying gentocin on it 2x a day, anything else I should put on it.

My DD came for dinner and saw him and wanted him! she is not into dogs and the GH just don't do "it" for her, but with Ollie- that face- he has the face of a retriever! I don't think she really meant it, but he was the type of dog she would want if she wanted!!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

I absolutely SWEAR by this stuff: http://www.petstruly.com/3307.html

It sluffs off old skin and heals at the same time. I would use this, and try covering with a large bandage (non-stick of course). Cari came with many open sores when we got her. She was a mess. Now the Biotch of the house, and a true Daddy's Girl!

Good Luck with Ollie!

I absolutely SWEAR by this stuff: http://www.petstruly.com/3307.html

It sluffs off old skin and heals at the same time. I would use this, and try covering with a large bandage (non-stick of course). Cari came with many open sores when we got her. She was a mess. Now the Biotch of the house, and a true Daddy's Girl!

Good Luck with Ollie!

What is the difference between that and the gentocin? Also, isn't it beter to let it air dry rather than keep it bandaged?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Energy11

The Gentocin is a topical antiseptic. The Trypzyme V not only protects against infection, but it helps heal by sluffing off the dead skin. I discovered it when I worked at the vet in Florida, and have been using it ever since. You'd be surprised what I've healed with it!

RE: Keeping the sores covered, I do it to keep the bacteria out of them. With the Trypzyme V, you can keep the wounds covered and they still heal.

Hope this helps! And, of course, having him sleep on soft surfaces. :-)

You might post some pics; could they be staph?

Geez, I sure as he77 hope not as the vet saw them and mentioned open sores on Monday.

booboo.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture...is that 'whitish' color on the left an infection or just skin / photo deceipt?

For our boys scrapes (plenty) and minor cuts, I use Granulex V Aerosol spray which has the same ingredient as Energy's Trypzyme - Trypsin. I swear by it too - removes dead stuff and encourages the regrowth of skin. As it is a spray, no need to touch the wound. It's great stuff as well.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Leah recently had what I thought was a hot spot. Vet put her on Animax Ointment and it cleared it up in no time. Applied two to three times daily only took a week to completely clear up and no signs of it reappearing.

Terry

White spot is skin. The only time it is wet is when he opens it up, otherwise it is dry.

Edited by RobinM

I read an article in Celebrating Greyhounds, that someone used Milk of Magnesia (MOM) to close open wound/sores.

It was maybe 4 months ago ~

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Assume he's been de-flea'ed and bathed?

If he's opening them up himself, your best revenge is to clean well once (Nolvasan or betadine solution, or mild soap and water), pat dry ... and keep his mouth off them. That might take something like a band-aid (smooth a little triple antibiotic or similar on the inner pad) with a little bitter apple wiped on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.