Sos

Guest jillz

Just got home and somehow our 7 yo grey got up way high and stole and ate about 20 tootsie pops. I wonder how much actual chocolate is in them? We always have them up on this high counter and she's never gotten up there. She seems fine... do we need to call vet or induce vomiting... or anything?

Just got home and somehow our 7 yo grey got up way high and stole and ate about 20 tootsie pops. I wonder how much actual chocolate is in them? We always have them up on this high counter and she's never gotten up there. She seems fine... do we need to call vet or induce vomiting... or anything?

It's fake "chocolate flavor." Dune once ate a bowl of tootsie pops, too, and my vet told me just to watch for some other type of reaction, but not to worry about the chocolate.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

I'm sure it's all over by now, but here are the ingredients in a Tootsie Roll:

sugar, corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, condensed skim milk, cocoa whey, soy lecithin, and flavors

No way there could be enogh cocoa in there to hurt a grey...and cocoa whey sounds like what's left after they make chocolate so it is probably even more neutral.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I'd be more worried about the possibility of the dog eating the sticks than the actual candy...though they're made of paper I'd guess they could be a choking hazard (though I'd assume the dog would CHEW the stick first).

Glad to hear your pup isn't having any problems from her feast :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--