Stiff Neck, Fever, Tired, Small Appetite

Guest Stargirl

Guest Stargirl

Allrightey, I've had Starry for 7 months now (she is 4), she is babesia positive, in June had titer of 1:320, in September it was down to 1:80. Was not treated with Imizol as she was asymptomatic. But, in September she all of a sudden had neck, back stiffness, fever 103 degrees I believe. Xrays showed no neck or back problem. Blood test showed no anemia or high white cell count. Vet gave antibiotics and prednisone. Showed improvement immediately and that was the end of that. Or so I thought. Was also weird that another dog in my neighborhood had the exact same symtoms and treatment...dogs never play together though. Now, 11/25 the same thing happens, stiff neck, flinching, a lot of sleeping, smaller appetite and low fever. Vet just gave prednisone this time. I am out of town and she is in care of family, but has anyone else had similar issues? Is it the tick disease flaring up, meningitis, goodness, it sound like it could be so much. Vet said if it becomes a habitual thing she would need spinal tap and such. I know someone who had a sick grey and MRI's cost them $4500 and the dog had a spinal infection and died afterwards. Not the route I want to go.

I can already suppose this would require lots of tests and possibly no definitive answer. We all know that stinks. AFter one day on prednisone, husband says dog is no worse. I'm back home tomorrow, so I'll see for myself I guess. HATE THIS FEELING! Grrrrr.

Edited by Stargirl

Where were her first two tick tests done? Might be worth talking to the experts at NCSU tick lab as to what they would recommend next. I'm guessing another titer with PCR to follow if titer is positive. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Stargirl

First titer sent to Arizona (from Michigan), vet took a wait and see approach with that result. Second titer done at Michigan State, as I had switched vets by that time. I would be more suspicious if blood tests showed some anomalies like anemia, but they didn't, so I assume (perhaps wrongly) this is not related to babesia.

Yeah, just seems worth checking since your first test did show a high titer. I suggest consulting with NCSU as these guys specialize in tick diseases. Also seem to be a helpful bunch of people. They could consult with your vet whether it's appropriate to do more testing and what kind based on the prior test results and symptoms. http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vth/ticklab.html

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

First titer sent to Arizona (from Michigan), vet took a wait and see approach with that result. Second titer done at Michigan State, as I had switched vets by that time. I would be more suspicious if blood tests showed some anomalies like anemia, but they didn't, so I assume (perhaps wrongly) this is not related to babesia.

Strange.........I would have thought that MI State would have sent the titers to NC. They know better! MSU is the thyroid experts and they know that NC folks are the TBD experts. Stinkers.

Hope you get a good dx soon!

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My first thought with those symptoms is Lyme disease. It would be a cruel twist of fate if she had titers for *both* TBDs but not surprising b/c I've heard about co-infections like that.

I would contact, or have your vet contact OSU. The link at the bottom of my siggy will give you the contact info.

You can run all of your info by them and they will give you some guidance. Praying you get some help for Star.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Stargirl

thanx for all the suggestions, I have been trying to do some more research, will see what they say about Lyme Disease. Got home today finally after being gone a week, she met me at the airport! She seems a little off, her eyes say it all, not as much spark as before, but she still has an appetite and has her playful times. I will keep a good watch on her and hope she responds well with the prednisone.

Guest Stargirl

oh dear, what is RMSF??? It isn't Lyme disease, or shouldn't be, tick titer showed negative for it. She seems more normal today, barking at me and running to the front door. Would like a better appetite, but she won't waste away either. Tks everyone.

oh dear, what is RMSF??? It isn't Lyme disease, or shouldn't be, tick titer showed negative for it. She seems more normal today, barking at me and running to the front door. Would like a better appetite, but she won't waste away either. Tks everyone.

I'm sorry, that's Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I'm not sure if that's included in tick panels

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 1 month later...
Guest Stargirl

Well, it is January now, and she got better after a round of prednisone, but once that stopped, the symptoms came back. 104 fever, flinching, tired, no appetite. Went to a neurologist and she had a spinal tap and turns out it was meningitis all along. So now she is on another round of stronger antibiotics (doxy and clin)and prednisone to see if this solves the problem.

Edited by Stargirl