Ollie Does Not Have Giardia (sp?)

RobinM

***UPDATE***

OY- Vet called and before she could get a word in edge wise, I told her I was out bleaching my yard, calling the kennel who called the farm getting all the dog treated and she said- Robin- stop! He does not have giardia, he has been exposed to it so he needs to be treated.

All due respect to your vet, but that makes no medical sense. If he got a positive on the antigen test, he has giardia. If he didn't have it, he wouldn't need to be treated for it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

I haven't heard of a dog testing positive for giardia but not having it. If they have ingested the cells then they have giardia and the eggs will pass in their stool. I just looked up several websites and there is nothing about being positive but not having it. I wouldn't take any chances, I would still be very careful about cleaning up after him.

Saw the results when at the vet with Beau.

Giardia- negative (none seen)

Elsia- postive (exposed)

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

In the first test, no Giardia organisms were seen. Presumably on a fecal smear. But, they are elusive little boogers. The ELISA test indicates that Giardia proteins were detected, meaning the dog has Giardia.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

we are doing exactly what we were doing- being careful and picking up poop immediately and spraying with bleach 100% bleach!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

we used flagyl on felix when he was a pup. it took a couple of rounds of it. he was also on a bland, bland, diet of rice and boiled turkey or beef. once he started to feel better he was eating huge salad bowls of the rice mixture, 3xs a day. we very slowly weaned him back onto kibble. that flagyl is fantastic stuff, just remember the probiotics.

re: sueG210 -i thought the stomach pain he had was from the giardia, it ceased once we started him on flagly.

So should be giving pro biotics as well? I happen to have in the house from when we were desperate to try anything with Beau. I have the forti- something.

He is on kibble. He WANTS to eat. That's all he does want to do!

the fort- stuff is really good...go for it!!!!

glad to hear he is eating away. my poor guy, maybe since he was just a pup was a mess. my vet attributes it to the run off in the pristine looking- and the county tests the water (obviously no so pristine) steams in the preserve when i walk. it was from drinking from the stream, quite common as i have read. i didn't have any problems w/ my other dog picking it up. the bleach should do the job.