Review These Lab Values Please

Lab values from today 11/23/09 that were off:

WBC 5.6 High

(on 9/15/09 her WBC was 6.3 on a ref range of 5.7-16.3 IDEXX)

RDWa 55.7 High

(I don't see a listing on the previous lab test)

RDW% 17.1 High

(I don't see a listing for this either on the previous lab test. Is there another name for these?)

HGB 19.5 High

(on 9/15/09 her HGB was high at 18.2 on a ref range of 12-18 IDEXX)

MCH 26.1 High

(same value as on 9/15/09)

PLT 156 Low (it's this OK for greyhounds?)

(on 9/15/09 PLT was 180 IDEXX)

ALT 666 HIGH normal range is 0-120

on 9/15/09 her ALT was HIGH at 180 on a lab range of 5-107

on 9/15/09 she also had a high: AST 65 and low MONOCYTES at 1 and ABSOLUTE MONOCYTE at 63

Her BUN, creatinine, total protein, and glucose were good on both tests

The vet today was most concerned about that ALT and said it was about her liver. What's going on here and what are we in for? We will be repeating the test Friday.

Niña eats well and has a great activity level otherwise.

Our reason for the vet visit today was that she was nipped on the back of the neck by one of my other greys. It happened quick just as I was returning home but I didn't see which one did it. I took her right to the vet and had to leave her while she was sedated for the stitching and drainage tube. She did fine with the anesthesia but is a bit woozy from the morphine.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Any NSAIDs?

Email them to Dr. Couto and ask his opinion.

Ditto on that. He has a lot of experience with Galgos, as you probably know.

Ditto once again!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I wouldn't think the morphine would have anything to do with it. My guess is the next step would be to do a bile-acids test and see where she is

edited to correct typo

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Dr Couto is not a fan of morphine for greyhounds, IIRC from his talk at Mountain Hounds last May. Don't know if there's any connection to the liver values though.

No morphine was administered until after her surgery.

I've typed an email with the complete lab results from Sept and today.

Which email address should I use for Dr Couto? couto.1@osu.edu ? or greyhound@cvm.sou.edu ? or something else?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would love to hear Dr C's opinion on morphine again at any stage of administration. Also his findings on use of certain meds and how they don't go through the liver like they do in "normal" (non-greyhound) dogs. There might be something in either area affecting Nina's values. Keep us posted if you hear anything, please!

I think the blood work looks great except for her ALT--liver value. I wouldn't be too concerned if her other liver values are normal (alk phos and AST). Her liver could be been responding to the medication she last received. I do think it warrants rechecking but, I wouldn't worry just yet :rolleyes:

Dr Couto is not a fan of morphine for greyhounds, IIRC from his talk at Mountain Hounds last May. Don't know if there's any connection to the liver values though.

No morphine was administered until after her surgery.

I've typed an email with the complete lab results from Sept and today.

Which email address should I use for Dr Couto? couto.1@osu.edu ? or greyhound@cvm.sou.edu ? or something else?

The usual email is the couto.1@osu.edu however, he is out of the office until 11/30/09 so if you need advice, use the Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

tiny hada siggy.png

Niña's results were reviewed by both Dr Dodds at Hemopet and Dr Couto. Despite the other values that were high or low, it was only the ALT being extremely high that was the concern.

She'll get a repeat test Friday and we'll go from there. Hopefully with medication, food change, periodic testing.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Niña's pre-and post-meal acid bile tests were elevated out of normal range but not horribly so.

I have made an appointment for Niña to get an ultrasound of her liver on Dec 14th at a specialty vet hospital near Raleigh NC. My vet said we could either do this or repeat blood tests in a few weeks. They do not have ultrasound at my vet's office.

I have debated on what to do. Niña shows no bad clinical signs of liver problems, just the elevated ALT and acid bile. Since I started giving her a Pepcid each day she does not run outside each morning to eat grass and has not vomitted any food.

At nearly 11 years of age she is a spunky girl and lucky to have survived 2 years of no medical care, even the routine stuff.

Thane had a horrible time when he had his ultrasound and kidney cancer was detected because of the clinic we went to. I will not take Niña there.

Hopefully she will not need a liver biopsy and we will have at least checked for abnormalities- then continue on her new diet and milk thistle regimen.

I must say that I am so in awe of the speedy response from Dr Couto at Ohio State and Dr Jean Dodds at Hemopet in response to my request to review Niña's lab work.

I have to take care of this little galgo.........if I don't, certain folks (Claudia, Dee, Maddiesmom/Amy) are gonna come after me.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Ducky, you are doing ALL the right things for your little Galga!

WE love you!!!!!!!!! Dee and My Five :-))) I honestly think Nina will be just fine! :-)))

Guest ThunderPaws
I have to take care of this little galgo.........if I don't, certain folks (Claudia, Dee, Maddiesmom/Amy) are gonna come after me.

Add me to that list! :wife:lol

Edited by ThunderPaws

Dee and I will be on your doorstep for sure!!

All joking aside, little Niña could not be in better hands but of course that won't stop me from trying ;)

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg