Wbc In Greyhounds

According to Dr. Stack, white blood cell counts can run low in greyhounds. Does anyone know how low is still normal/not cause for concern? Also, any idea how much WBC can fluctuate in a normal dog over time? For instance, I know one of the reasons a plain T4 reading is pretty useless is because it can fluctuate a great deal depending on the day, time, weather, etc. :P Is this true of WBC?

Zuri's came back low yesterday: 2.6 (normal is 4-15.5). In the past his has been well within the normal range. At this point I'm not alarmed, he doesn't appear to be ill, but he has had some minor behavioral issues that made me wonder if there isn't some underlying issue going on or developing. My vet suggested that if I want to we can just run a CBC in a few weeks to see if it's the same, or higher or lower and proceed from there.

I guess I'm wondering if even doing that is necessary or if this is just normal for a grey?

Thanks for any input.

Edited to add: I checked the breakdown and it's the neutrophils that are low. Here's the full breakdown:

ZurisBW09.jpg

Gah! Please ignore me, I found the more detailed Greythealth page that gives actual ranges for WBC and Zuri's falls within normal for a greyhound. So I won't worry (unless someone thinks I should :P).

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Energy11

I am not sure what is too low, but you can send those results to Dr. Couto and staff. I just got his opinion on Curfew's thyroid results and his blood pressure readings. The man is wonderful. You can foward your questions to him at: couto.1@osu.edu

Good Luck!

1664 seems a bit low; Feeman suggests down to 1800/uL is OK if the greyhound is otherwise healthy:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...d%20Labwork.pdf

Where are you getting the 2.6 from?

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. The total WBC count was on another portion of the paperwork. We get faxes here as PDF's so I couldn't cut and paste so I just got the bright idea to take a screen shot of the more detailed results.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am not sure what is too low, but you can send those results to Dr. Couto and staff. I just got his opinion on Curfew's thyroid results and his blood pressure readings. The man is wonderful. You can foward your questions to him at: couto.1@osu.edu

Good Luck!

Thanks for his email address. I just had Brandi retested for thyroid and I am going to send to him for his opinion.

Sharon

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I think 2.6 is on the low side even for a GH--how were the platelets? I agree with your vet--repeat in a couple of weeks.

Platelets were fine, well within normal. According to the GH sites, 2.6 is still wtihin normal, but ahicks is right, neutrophils are even low for a grey. I pretty much poured through all of the values even though others were normal looking for anything where "normal" might not actually be normal in a grey, nothing else stands out. His T4 was low, but normal again for a grey and he has no signs of hypothyroidism.

I emailed Dr. Couto yesterday and heard back from him this morning (I swear, that man does not sleep!). He felt everything was normal, including the low neutrophils so I guess we aren't going to pursue it unless we start to see additional symptoms that indicate a problem. Thanks for the input!