Please Tell Me About Cushings

Guest koolaidnconner

Guest koolaidnconner

Any and all information would be wonderful. My 9 year old foster has cushings and I am picking up lysodren for him today. We are also reducing his water at first to only 1100ml a day.

You probably already know this, but watch very closely once you start the Lysodren.

Hopefully your vet has given you some Pred to have on hand in the event of a crash, it's very important.

And please, please do not restrict water

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

And please, please do not restrict water

Ditto that. He needs the water he drinks. Not allowing him to have it could be extremely dangerous.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Measuring his water intake is how you will determine if you can stop the induction period and go to the maint. dose. But you don't want to do that by restricting his water.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest koolaidnconner
Measuring his water intake is how you will determine if you can stop the induction period and go to the maint. dose. But you don't want to do that by restricting his water.

thank you guys. It was actually the vet who said only 1100 ml of water a day and then she wants to reduce that once we get him more on track. And I know nothing about lysodren. I will have to investigate. I am not sure the vet has a lot of experience with cushings. Anything ou guys tell me would be wonderful.

1100 mL of water is only 4.5 cups. That is less than my healthy, normal dogs require on a lazy day in the middle of winter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

All due respect to the vet, that's crazy, please do not restrict the water.

And she needs to not only have experience with Cushings, but Cushings in Greyhounds.

How much Lysodren are you giving and how often?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest koolaidnconner

I did not understand all the instructions, after reading here I phoned work and I am not to restrict water. They want me to let them know when he goes down to about 1100 ml of water and then we will do another test.

We wont be able to start the lysodren till Monday because it is apparently backordered as it is not very common. The cushings is for a basset hound that I am fostering.

I am so glad you got the water situation straigtened out, that really worried me.

Lysodren is a human anti-cancer drug, very expensive but any human pharmacy should be able to get it in a matter of a day.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest koolaidnconner

He seems to be doing very well on the lysodren. No side effects, and his water intake has slowed down a bit. With his walks he has been getting and trying to chase after the big boys, he looks like he has lost some weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Our girl Scampie (not a greyhound) had Cushings and did very well on Lysodren. We got it at Walgreens.

There is a couple of online support lists for Cushings that really helped me. I will try and find the addresses.

Best of luck to Windston! :getwell

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

We're working Miss Rose up for Cushings at present. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread too. Thanks

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I don't have any experience with cushings but my holistic vet treats some canines with cushings. He recently came back from a conference and is now prescribing Humanforte Formula. I believe the website might be www.dogorrx.com. Humanforte regulates cortisol and insulin production. My grey Brandi is on it for joint problems. The website on our jar is www.petequinox.com.

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

With all due respect to the above poster, just be careful with any other treatment for Cushings except the traditional medical treatment.

Holistic treatment, homeopathy and such have its place, no doubt about that, but not with Cushings

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Here are the site addresses for the two Cushings lists I was on for our Scampie. They helped SO MUCH!!! Our sweet Scampie lived 4 years after diagnosis and didn't pass away from anything Cushings related, so if you you read anything that tells you they live 2 years after diagnosis, that isn't true. They have dogs on the lists that had gone years on treatment and were doing well.

Yahoo Group for Cushings and Canine Cushings Forum

Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

With all due respect to the above poster, just be careful with any other treatment for Cushings except the traditional medical treatment.

Holistic treatment, homeopathy and such have its place, no doubt about that, but not with Cushings

Thank you for this information. I am going to pass this on to a friend of mine that is seeing the holistic vet with a non-grey. Also will give her the cushings sites to check out.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg