Just A Thanks

Eden had been put on thyroid medication last year and I was told she's be on it for the rest of her life. I couldn't for the LIFE of me put any weight on her and her thyroid tests came back low - so the medication was prescribed.

I went to the vet last month for her annual and the vet (same place different doc) mentioned how low values are normal for greyhounds. That if I wanted to put some weight on her to stop the meds.

So I came home and poked around on GT and most people said thyroid meds were overprescribed. There was also a lot of mention to do your research and not to always believe what the vet has to say. I stopped giving her the meds and she looks SO MUCH BETTER! The vet called and her levels are still a little low but I'm not concerned because that's normal.

Thanks guys for the wealth of information you have! There were a lot of linked webpages where I read up on the subject, too. LOVE YOU ALL!

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Glad she is doing better!

Greyhounds really are a challenge as far as thyroid testing is concerned because so many of their normal attributes would be considered hypothyroid-like in other breeds of dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Glad she is doing sooo much better. When I stared seeing the new vet up here, NOT GH Savvy, but no one is up in the mountains here, the first thing I gave her was the GH blood values :-)) She is also going to attend Dr.Couto's seminar here in GA, next month.

With GHs, you have to educate these vets, because as Dr. Couto says, "Greyhounds are NOT like other dogs!"

Glad for the good news!

YEAH!!!

It's so tricky with thyroid. Dude came to us a a bounce already on thyroid - he was right at the tail end of when it was given for just seeing a bald butt on greys - and I never thought to retest until I read about it here on GT. Through my research, I learned that most of his "problems could be because he was getting too much thyroid and not toolittle. I could NEVER put a pound of weight on him, he was ADHD hyperactive, he couldn't concentrate long enough to learn basic obedience, his temp always ran on the high side of normal. I took him off the meds and within two weeks he was soooooooo much better!

I'm glad your girl is better too!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Chloe is a true hypothyroid dog.

She tested at .02 AND she exhibted many symptoms.

Once on the meds, she became a much happier dog.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Double post

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project