Digesting Non-food Items! Help!

Guest LRay82

Amy ate her first non-food item while I was out running errands - totally my fault, I left it out.

It was this: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/DFRolls.html but in a smaller size, and then just about half the roll. The problem is I only found half of the ziploc bag it was in, and I can't find any of the wraper, so she must have eaten that, which includes at least one if not both of the metal clips that keep it closed.

DBF thinks she'll pass it, if she's not acting weird or like she's in pain, we should just let it run its course. Any ideas? I'm just concerned mainly about the metal clips - they're not big, but could probably have sharp edges.

I would run the scenario by your vet and I would definitely call today-you may be able to get in for a visit if need be and avoid the e-vet if it comes to that. They may say she'll pass it or they may recommend x-rays, especially because of the metal clips. Are you absolutely sure the metal clips didn't land elsewhere? Good luck, keep us posted!!!

I tried the vet, they're closed already, so E-vet would be my only option at this point. I can't find the wrapper/clips anywhere, I've looked high and low.

Perhaps a call to the e-vet to get some feedback on whether or not your grey needs to be seen? It's so hard when things like this happen at night or on the weekend!

Guest Energy11

Curfew ate a aluminum tube with some of his toothpaste in it a few months ago... VERY sharp corners. I fed some bread, and everything came out in the poop. I'd give yours some bread and just keep an eye on her. Good Luck!

Thank you for the suggestions. I plan to watch her like a hawk for the next couple days. Seems to be acting fine so far, I will feed her some bread as well though. She'll love it! Poor thing... I'm usually so careful, I just left it out last night on the coffee table after we did some training :headwall

Guest Energy11
Thank you for the suggestions. I plan to watch her like a hawk for the next couple days. Seems to be acting fine so far, I will feed her some bread as well though. She'll love it! Poor thing... I'm usually so careful, I just left it out last night on the coffee table after we did some training :headwall

Same here! I am EXTREMELY careful, but I left that darned 3/4 used toothpaste tube lying on the end table, and it was gone in a flash! Things like this happen.

Just a note - I did call the E-vet, they won't give advice without seeing her (of course they won't, right?... liabilities, I get it). I'll keep y'all posted, thanks again!

And, just so I know, I'm assuming the bread is to sort of provide a "cushion" for the digestive tract, is that why that was suggested?

Guest Energy11
Just a note - I did call the E-vet, they won't give advice without seeing her (of course they won't, right?... liabilities, I get it). I'll keep y'all posted, thanks again!

And, just so I know, I'm assuming the bread is to sort of provide a "cushion" for the digestive tract, is that why that was suggested?

Like ER Docs, the E-Vets will usually NOT diagnose or give advice over the phone. Yes, the bread it to "coat" or "insulate" the metal. Should work, but, of course if anything changes, I will go immediately to the E-Vets. Any vomiting/with blood or without, blood in the stool, symptoms of being uncomfortable, like pacing and panting ... all reasons to vet the dog.

I would guess that the clips were never separated from the rest of the covering...just like you would open it by slicing a chunk off the end, I'm guess that's how it was eaten, by just gnawing off the end. So that would mean the clips, which are really small and probably squeezed very tightly shut are embedded in other material. Does that make sense? In other words, I don't think I would worry too much, just keep an eye out for any discomfort....

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Good news, we recovered the metal pieces this afternoon! So glad! Apparently all she needed was a visit to the beach.

I'm such a nervous mama... thanks for the suggestions!