Rash

Guest karma

Hi everyone, can you take a look at my pups rash? I have a vet appointment scheduled on Thursday of this week (he arrived a week ago today, and they advised we book him in within two weeks) I may try to move it up to Monday instead. any thoughts? suggestions...thanks!

ill post the rash and a pic of him enjoying the sun on the deck this afternoon :)

tajrash.jpg

taj_week_2.jpg

Guest Energy11

MIGHT be ant bites. You could try (2) 25 mg. of Benedryl (not the allergy sinus kind), and see if it helps. Is the dog scratching them? When did they start? Also could be a food allergy, which the Bendryl would help too... could be lots of things! Is that the only place the rash is?

Good Luck!

he has a little bit on his belly but thats the rough spot. on his leg. there was a little bit yesterday and then THIS today. he wants to lick it now and then but not constantly. i washed his bedding and put a cold wed cloth on it.

Guest Energy11

Humm... does sound like bites of somekind, or an allergy to something. You could try the Benedryl (again, not the allergy-sinus kind, but regular), and see if it helps. Good Luck!

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has had a rash all summer from chaffing because of the heat and then he licks it and makes it worse. It gets better if I put Bag Balm on it nightly.

And when Soul came home from ICU last November he had a HORRIBLE rash on his belly. Again, Bag Balm really helped.

I'd give that a try then wait an see what the vet has to say. If he's that 'new' he's going to have some 'rough spots' to him, if you will. Kennel life can be rough on their skin, so I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It might be that all he needs is a little TLC. :)

Beautiful pup, what's his name?

Edited by SoulsMom

I use Benedryl spray or cream for everything. If you can stop the itch cycle, they will leave it alone and then it can just go away by itself. The bag balm is good too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

thanks for all the tips folks! just the fact that you dont find it tooo strange is making me feel better :) thanks for the photo comment as well, his name is TAJ. (as in "mahal" named after the blues singer, not the building :D

heres another one. this is the LOOK he gives when the dog next door barks his fool head off

taj_2_4.jpg

Guest Energy11
thanks for all the tips folks! just the fact that you dont find it tooo strange is making me feel better :) thanks for the photo comment as well, his name is TAJ. (as in "mahal" named after the blues singer, not the building :D

heres another one. this is the LOOK he gives when the dog next door barks his fool head off

taj_2_4.jpg

Are you the photographer? I was a photojournalist back in the days of black and white, and hand processing the film, and prints! It was an artform then. The photos are excellent! Love the name, too!

hey thanks! its more of a hobby (photography) although over the last couple years i have been hired now and then to do some photoshoots. i try to keep that at a minimum though, i prefer doing work for myself ;) than others. but its fun. I was able to do hand processing when i was in highschool, (way back in the day) but i have since switched to a canon SLR digital .. lazy mans developing. ;)

100% sure he doesn't have fleas?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11
hey thanks! its more of a hobby (photography) although over the last couple years i have been hired now and then to do some photoshoots. i try to keep that at a minimum though, i prefer doing work for myself ;) than others. but its fun. I was able to do hand processing when i was in highschool, (way back in the day) but i have since switched to a canon SLR digital .. lazy mans developing. ;)

I know what you mean about not wanting to do the hand processing anymore. Imagine what that used to be like with a deadline :-( I also have a digital SLR, but rarely take photos anymore! Have a great Sunday! Glad your baby is feeling better!!!

It looks similar to a rash that my Amy had - itchy red bumps on her right 'cheek'.

The vet gave her a cortisone shot and gave me Animax (topical ointment) to help with the itching. I can't remember exactly what he called it, but he said basically he seems that sort of thing with allergic reactions to a type of grass or something in yard. I'm not sure what it was that gave her the reaction, but I try not to let her lay down for too long without being on a towel!

The rash reoccurred a few weeks later but I was sort of watching for it, so attacking it with the cream 2-3 times per day seemed to do the trick.

PS: An FYI - I paid $30 for the Animax at the vet, but it's on 1800petmeds.com for $13.