What Do These Symptoms Sound Like?

tra708

Lola woke up early today, a little restless. Went outside and wanted to eat a lot of grass. Had a normal poop. Then on our walk, had a very small, but bright red bloody stool. There was grass coming out of her butt, too. Can a blade of grass cut their colon or intestine?

Now, just restlessness, panting, pacing, and loud stomach sounds. I looked up bloat and intestinal blockage and the symptoms don't quite line up.

She did drink some dog park water 2 days ago which she probably shouldn't have. My mistake.

Gave a Gas-X 15 minutes ago and her stomach is quieter now. Not interested in breakfast, but neither of them are and that's pretty normal.

This is so frustrating. oy. Lola has been with us less than a week, but she seemed to be settling in very well. any ideas??

much thanks,

tracy

ps. lying down now and seems to be wanting to go to sleep....

2rqyqhd.jpg

mm - not sure on the grass cutting her insides, but there is obviously some discomfort happening. I wish I could offer more of an opinion, but, personally, I'd just watch her throughout the day and ensure she has lot's to drink and lot's of rest. If the blood in the stool continues beyond tomorrow or get's worse, I'd have her checked out. My immediate though is upset stomach (minor irritation of some kind can cause slight bleeding - not major, though). If she has only been with you a short time, it could be the change in environment / stress, remnants of any worming meds, etc.

Hope she does better throughout the day.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest spider9174

Eating grass like that sounds like she has tummy problems. I have grazers that like the tall blades, but when they go out and "mow the lawn" they are definitely not feeling well. If she had a small bloody stool, that sounds intestinal. I'd call the vet and ask.

If it was Giardia, she'd have big d. They can get that from stagnant water.

In any case...I'd probably give my vet a call.

Guest Energy11

Grass eating definitely is indicative of a GI problem. I'd watch her, and try to get a stool sample over to the vets. Blood in the stool is indicative of a lot of things, including parasites. Good Luck!

Hi, hope Lola's feeling better! What you describe are definitely not symptoms of bloat, so don't worry about that. It's only an emergency if there's more blood -- otherwise I'd just check in with the vet.

Don't beat yourself up about the dog park water -- I think it's probably fine if it's in a bowl or from a fountain.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest EmilyAnne

When I worked at the animal shelter, my boss told me that if a dog held his bm too long, this could cause some bright red blood in the stool. I know my Henry, when he is in a new environment, he becomes nervous, and he holds his bm longer. I agree with others about how some dogs eat more grass when they have tummy upset. I have found this to be true of all dogs I have had.

editing to add, eating grass is not necessarily indicative of tummy upset. My dogs still nibble on grass sometimes even when they are feeling perfectly fine.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Someting GI for sure.; I'd bring a sample of the poop to the vet asap. Even if there is no blood visually, it may be undera microscope. The red blood could be from straining or somting that needs to be treated.

Please update.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project