Bad Breath - Dark Pink Red Line At Gum Line

Our Jack has had bad breath since we got him about a year ago. We brush his teeth every night and use the spray that supposedly helps reduce plaque. His breath has improved but it's a lot worse than Charlie's which has no odour at all. DW noticed that Jack has a dark pink line right where the tooth meets the gum line - any ideas? Do we have perhaps something else? e.g gum infection, gingivitis? I know bad breath can be from plaque which we have done a good job of reducing and we will not go for a dental unless there is a serious health issue for him. I have also read that it could be from his food??? He eats home made mix of potatoes, pasta, eggs, salmon, tuna, chicken, tofu, vegetables of all types and is given vitamin E, C, fish oil.

We're most curious about the dark pink line than anything else as we can live with his breath....he's such a cutie, nothing would change that! Sorry no pics until I am back home.

Tks.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest agroshong

Sounds like gingivitis. Abbey tends to have a very low level of gingivitis nearly constantly -- regardless that we're feeding raw (all RMBs) and that I brush her teeth every day. As my wonderful Dr. K says, some dogs just have worse teeth than others.

You could try using raw meaty bones (the aforementioned RMBs) on a regular basis in the diet to help promote some natural teeth cleaning. Things like chicken backs, turkey necks, and oxtails can give Jack a great dental workout.

I agree with gingivitis, I have had a number of dogs with it and it starts with the gum line becomming red, 2 of my boys were put on antibiotics for 7 days every month to control it, you can't actually cure it but it can be controled. Also, if the problem is not addressed it can become very painful and they usually end up losing teeth because of it.

Brushing and a cotton ball with peroxide wiped down nightly help here. Also a good marrow bone once a week. I also put viotene on Os' gums on a regular basis. He still has it but not as bad as he did.

Kyle, there is a really good grey savvy vet out your way. She has done dentals for our group, and is extremely good price wise. I'll look her up for you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest fargosmom

I've just started giving our hounds beefy bones, and I'm blown away by how well they work. I still brush their teeth daily but that's not always enough to keep the plaque at bay; the bones do a great job of getting rid of tartar and toning the gums. I do think, however, that a vet-dental is a good idea, every year or two. Dental problems are much easier prevented than fixed . . . and dental infections can have serious effects on overall health that can sneak up on you and be really bad by the time they're discovered. The bacteria that starts in the mouth travels through the bloodstream throughout the body, and especially the heart, and can lead to overall decreased health. Just as I wouldn't dream of only going to the dentist when I'm in excruciating pain, I know that my dogs need preventive cleanings to avoid greater problems.

Sorry - dental health is near and dear to my heart. Thanks, Mom!!

You may want to call the vet and get him on an antibiotic

I agree, would do the same. He may need a dental. I'd also use raw bones for keeping his teeth clean after.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest Energy11

Staggerlee has Gingivitis. I brush daily, and there is no longer any plaque. When it flares up, I "zap" him with Amoxicillin, 500 mg. twice a day, for a week, per my former vet/employer, Dr. B. Good Luck!