Fleas And Itching Question...

Where we live, we really don't have a flea problem-just ticks. However, not pointing any fingers but we have new neighbors. :) They have a cute corgi and a cocker spaniel, and coincedentally after no fleas for 7 years...my dogs suddenly have fleas. I have only seen a couple under collars, have vaccummed and debugged the house and have not seen anymore live ones since applying Revolution on the dogs. Lucy and Diesel are fine, no more itching and it has been a week. Sally, however is still itching and scratching-but I don't see any flea dirt on her. She got the first dose of Reveloution, and then later that night rolled in something disgusting so she had to have a bath. Do you think I washed all the flea meds off?

She is not a sighthound, but I still worry about too many chemicals.

Should I apply a dose of Frontline Plus over the top of the Revolution? I soaked her in the tub last night too, just in cool water to check for dirt or floating fleas and diddn't see any. She didn't scratch anymore last night, but this morning she was back to chewing her sides.

I can wait and call the vet in the morning, but I figured I could ask the knowledgeable peeps here. We are a little hyper sensitive in the itching deptartment at our house and I hate to see Sally uncomfortable.

Thanks!

I can tell you that this is the first year in over 20 years of dog ownership that I have had a flea problem. My girl is on Frontline Plus and has never itched or had flea dirt until this year. I vacuum daily now, especially where she sleeps and I wash her blankets weekly..it has stopped the problem..my vet said this year is a challenge, in our area their are just a lot of fleas outdoors...I see them floating on the pool water and I see them buzz around our hound when she walks.

I am, anxiously awaiting the first frost!!

Guest Energy11

Usually, the Revolution washes off with a good shampoo bath. You might want to google the Revolution sight, and see what/if anything they recommend. Your vet could probably answer your question.

I'd wait until I knew for sure, before applying anymore, ESPECIALLY Revolution, as this medication is also a heartworm preventative.

In the meantime, and I have posted it here lots of times, I swear by Adams Flea and Tick Mist. I also live "in the middle of no where :-)" ... and you can get it online, at the petsores, or Walmart. It works. I have NO fleas or ticks!

Good Luck. If you get the Adams, lend it to the Corgi and Cocker :-))

If you're not seeing fleas or flea dirt on Sally, it's possible that she's having an allergic reaction to the original bites. Try Benadryl to deal with the itching.

I wouldn't advise treating for fleas again unless you actually see them.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11
If you're not seeing fleas or flea dirt on Sally, it's possible that she's having an allergic reaction to the original bites. Try Benadryl to deal with the itching.

I wouldn't advise treating for fleas again unless you actually see them.

True. If she has flea allergies, all it takes is one flea bite to make her itchy, rashy and miserable. Benedryl is a good idea! Worth a try, anyway :-)

Well, the question is moot now. She has some kind of tummy bug and has thrown up a couple of times, so no meds until she is feeling better. I left a message with the vet's message service, so I can get an appt in the morning.

Poor Sally.

Thanks guys for your help. :)

a friend who was using an ineffective flea preventive who has a corgi had almost the same problem. her vet told her to wash the dog w/ dish washing soap. i believe dawn...the one they use to degrease animals who have been in oil spills. it killed all the fleas and then the next month she changed over to frontline plus. no problems so far. the detergent might dry out the skin, but it is non-toxic and there won't be a chemical reaction. unfortunately i can't get in contact w/ her to double check which brand. so, maybe do some research and see which one has been used in the past at oil spills.

the detergent also breaks down the oil in skunk spray!

Guest Energy11

That

tummy bug" thing seems to be going around. I have seen it on here, and a good friend's grey in Florida just got over it. Might want to ask the vet if he/she is seeing this with other dogs? Good Luck, and hope your baby feels better.

Guest BiancasMom

Revolution does not stay on the skin, it is absorbed into the body, therefore does not wash off. That is how is also controls heartworm and some internal parasites. It should still be working to fight fleas but you can safely put the Frontline on if you should choose, as they work in different ways and have different active ingredients. The itching is probably due to a flea allergy. The itchiness can stay around for weeks after the fleas are gone. I would try an over the counter antihistamine like Benedryl (Diphenhydramine) or Chlorpheniramine. If it is really bad to the point she is mutilating herself your vet can give you some temporary steroids to help with the itching. Since the fleas are under control now, the itching should eventually go away. I hope her tummy feels better soon!

Revolution does not stay on the skin, it is absorbed into the body, therefore does not wash off. That is how is also controls heartworm and some internal parasites. It should still be working to fight fleas but you can safely put the Frontline on if you should choose, as they work in different ways and have different active ingredients. The itching is probably due to a flea allergy. The itchiness can stay around for weeks after the fleas are gone. I would try an over the counter antihistamine like Benedryl (Diphenhydramine) or Chlorpheniramine. If it is really bad to the point she is mutilating herself your vet can give you some temporary steroids to help with the itching. Since the fleas are under control now, the itching should eventually go away. I hope her tummy feels better soon!

This is about what the vet said, thank you! Also told me as long as it has been 24 hours between applications, it should be ok-but we both agreed until the stomach bug is over-no meds. She did seem fine this morning as far as upset tummy, but I still want to wait. I also asked if the tummy thing could be a reaction to the Reveloution, but the vet thinks it is unlikely.

If she is still itchy tonight I can give her some Chlorpheniramine and I can get the scrip on the way home.

It is way more likely that the lick-o-saurus rex ate something in the yard, or the garden.

Thanks guys!

Guest TeddysMom

Dawn dishwashing is the one that is used to de-oil birds. We used it a lot when we got boxers into rescue that were covered with fleas, it kills the fleas instantly then we would wash them again with a conditioning shampoo and rinse well. When Teddy got out of the shelter, he had a lot of fleas and I washed him with Dawn to de-flea him then applied a really good canine conditioner. Thankfully I no longer live in Florida and I only have to deal with fleas about 2-3 months then they get frozen out. I don't like to use Advantage or Frontline and only treat the dogs that have allergies to flea bites. I spray the dogs with a lemon, tea tree oil, eucalytus oil concoction which helps but isn't perfect. Anita

Good to know about the Dawn killing fleas--I hadn't heard that one before.

Hope your girl's tummy feels better soon.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.