Dylan Is Really Sick

Guest Baloos_Mom

Guest Baloos_Mom

Hi again. Hemocrit is back up to 30 today. Vet did a smac again today to see how it compares. She is a little stumped. We will find out those results tomorrow and then he is to be seen again on Thursday if nothing changes.

Batmom....he has not. I have no idea what that is but I will look it up.

Guest Energy11

Babesia is among the many tickborne diseases greys and other dogs can get. If your vet will do it, you can have him/her draw blood, spin it down, and you can send it to Protatek Labs. For a reasonable fee, they will test for ALL the tickborne diseases.

http://www.greyhoundrescueaustin.com/protatek.php

Good Luck, and hope this helps!

I haven't read all the replies, but it's my understanding that values can be thrown off when a dog is dehydrated. Can they make sure he's properly hydrated before doing any more blood work? Don't know what would cause the dehydration, though.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Do ask your vet about babesia testing. As Energy11 notes, it's a tick-borne disease, and one of its hallmarks is a low HCT/PCV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

hoping it is not addisons, but if it is, write to me. i kept my scottie alive for nearly 10 years w/ it and i will share the info and tips that i gathered during that time. their functions decline until they are supplimented w/ the correct hormones and they respond like you turned on a light.

let's keep fingers crossed that he was just dehydrated.

I see your located in Ohio---why not make the trip to OSU? A PCV of 30% is still way too low for a GH. One thing that comes to mind when they have rising and lowering HCT's would be a rupturing splenetic mass---it ruptures the HCT goes down and then after it clots the HCT goes up again. Has you vet suggested radiograph or abdominal ultrasound? If it was me I would be heading to Columbus--your current vet doesn't seem proactive enough--IMHO.

Guest eaglflyt

I hope Dylan is diagnosed quickly and effectively treated. I agree with the others, tick borne disease testing, especially for Babesia, would be a good thing to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Baloos_Mom

Dylan is doing much better. He is on a smaller dose of Pred now and in a week we will do the Addisons test. Everything is really pointing in that direction...with the acute kidney failure 3.5 years ago and levels that are perfect now, not handling stress well...and other stuff that I of course cannot remember now.