Some Advice Please - Update Post # 1

040920094103.jpg

This kennel dog came into us at the beginning of August and she did not have this lump then that I am quite sure of.

One month on there it is..........I noticed it today whilst grooming her and queried about it to one of the volunteers who said our groups regular vet said it's nothing to be worried about!!!!!!

To be honest I'm shocked and surprised. I was horrified when I saw it.

I reported it to the 'Kennel Manager' and she is now booked at the vets for Monday morning for a second opinion.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance.....

****UPDATE 21 - SEPT - 2009 ******

The results are back it is just a wart :yay

And even better news she went to her new forever home today along with her kennel mate.

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest koolaidnconner

Kool Aid had a lump on his ear just like that removed and it ended up being just an infection. Nothing serious, so now he has a small peice of his ear missing.

It will obviously have to be removed, and my guess is that your vet won't name it until the path comes back.

When Wayne had the Plasmacytoma on his lip, my vet wouldn't name it until he got the path report back.

But there is another vet in the office who I have known for quite awhile and he just popped in to say hi to Wayne and I.

He looked at it and said, oh yeh, it's a Melanoma and when I told my vet what he said he told me never try to name it until you have the report back.

Keep us posted if you will

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Here is another peanut gallery diagnosis :P I think it looks like a histiocytoma. Carmen had one on her leg. The vet gave me some anti fungal stuff and in about two days it was gone.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

If it is indeed viral papillomas I'm concerened, just having googled it and read that it's contagious and any non infected animals should be seperated. A tad difficult in kennels as they are doubled-up and if the isolation kennel is in use would quite worrying.......and as her appointment isn't until Monday I'll mention this to the 'Kennel Manager'.

Will keep you posted......thanks again.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest ThunderPaws

Looks similar to the thing my afghan hound has on her leg, it's been there for a while, doesn't get bigger or smaller and she is still alive! If it gets bigger I'll have it taken of. Until then we'll keep watching. With a foster I would be more tempted to have it taken off so the dog can go to it's home all nice an purty. :)

It looks exactly like the lump my greyhound had on his ear in exactly the same place. While it was still smallish, I had the vet look at it because I took him in for other things. Vet said it looked harmless, but that if it got bigger or uglier, bring him back. It got much bigger, to about the size of a pea, and I took him back to the vet. She said it looks like a histiocytoma, simple to remove, right then & there . . . if it was any place but his ear. The vet said that because the ear is so vascular, bleeds easily, removal would require stiches, which would require sedation. And because it was right on the tip of his ear, surgical removal would leave a notch in his ear. She scraped some of it up with her fingernail, looked at it under a bright light, and said it REALLY looks like a histiocytoma and that if it were her dog, she would just let it resolve on it's own. So that's what I did. It got even bigger yet, to about the size of a pencil eraser. The dog would try to scratch it and it would bleed and make a mess, just a little mess, it wasn't a gush, but rather a leak. When it reached it's maximum size, it seemed to pop and shrunk very quickly and then disappeared. No evidence that anything was ever there exept for a teeny tiny notch. The entire process, start to finish, took about 3 months and cost me just the second vet visit, $25, I think, since no labs or procedures were done.

The sweet little greyhound bitch at the kennels has had the lump removed today, surgery went well and she's fine.

It's a shame though she's been through the wars..........lost part of her tail a couple of weeks ago too. Poor thing.

The lump has been sent off for tests won't know exactly what it was until the results come back (should take two weeks).

Yep- should come off but prob nothing serious, Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 weeks later...

****UPDATE 21 - SEPT - 2009 ******

POST # 1

The results are back it is just a wart :yay

And even better news she went to her new forever home today along with her kennel mate.