Not Eating

Guest mhall

Tarmac turned up his nose at dinner last night, and wouldn't eat this morning either. He's on tramadol and gabapentin, and I'm guess one or both are making him pretty nauseous. He can stand to lose a little bit of weight, but he may be on pain meds for awhile so I want to figure out how to get him eating again.

I'm going to go pick up some tuna or something else stinky and see if adding that to his food helps. Any other suggestions? If we cut back on the pain medication at all he has a lot of trouble getting up/laying down. Should I try just leaving his kibble out and letting him eat when/if he feels like it? Should I give up on kibble and try meat? His normal diet is half kibble/half raw. Usually he's a chow hound and he has never refused food before, so I'm not sure where to start. This morning I left him with his usual kong and he immediately dropped it and followed me to the door where he stood whining while I walked to the car :(

Sorry to hear his tummy is upset. I would second the advice you received, and would add that nutritional yeast has been very helpful with my Shadow who has been off his eating lately. He's not on any medications, but his stomach seems to be a bit upset. I can usually get him to eat most of his meal if I sprinkle it liberally with the yeast. Of course, sometimes he just licks it off the kibble and waits for me to sprinkle on another layer :rolleyes::lol but it seems to work very well. I got it from Whole Foods.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest knitkass

Parmesan cheese is a favorite in this household if they're being a little finicky.

Also, giving a couple days on "bland diet" out of Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies usually helps an upset tummy. I also would simply let mine graze throughout the day, rather than make her eat everything all at once, and 20 mg of pepcid before a meal helped tremendously as well.

How long has he been on the tramadol? Are there alternatives that might work? Tramadol's a good drug, but it can cause eating problems so it's not for all dogs. Have you discussed the change with your vet?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't even think of Pepcid - I will pick some up on my way home from work today.

How long has he been on the tramadol? Are there alternatives that might work? Tramadol's a good drug, but it can cause eating problems so it's not for all dogs. Have you discussed the change with your vet?

Tarm's been on the tramadol for a little over a week, and hasn't had eating problems until now. I'll talk with the vet about alternatives if this continues - I'm not sure what else is available + safe for potential long term use. I like that the tramadol doesn't make him spacey, but obviously if he won't eat it isn't the right choice.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Things that help and I've used firsthand:

Canned green or frozen tripe

Sardines/tuna

Baby food (the meat ones)

Stinky cat food

Maybe try a bland diet with some scrambled eggs in it. Those should be easy on his tummy and might encourage him to eat. Hugs to your sweet boy :grouphug

How about funnel cake?

My Pearl....Little Miss Picky Pants snarfed that down this weekend.

I was so surprised at the relish that she went after it that I'm thinking of buying the mix in the supermarket and making it at home if she has trouble eating.

Eggnog is good for weightgain.

Thanks for all the suggestions! He ate breakfast this morning, a little hesitantly, but he eventually got it all down so I think he's feeling a bit better. We'll probably keep adding in a little something tasty to encourage him.

The funnel cake is the strangest suggestion I've ever heard :lol DH is obsessed with funnel cake - I think he and Tarmac would be fighting over it if I brought any home.

Guest sheila

things that go over well here

canned pumpkin

jack mackerel

yogurt

molasses or syrup

I like to use things that they can't just simply pick out of the kibble if I can.