Mystery Bleeding

This morning started out in a strange way. For one thing, my alarm clock went off at 6:00 am, normally one of the dogs wakes me up at 5:57 am so I was startled by the sound. Next, my greyhound Tuna did not stir from her dog bed when I got out of bed, which has never happened before. I looked over at her, she was laying there eyes open, not blinking, dead-dog style and my heart sank. It was not until I actually went over and layed a hand on her that she raised her head, but then put it right back down. I was horrified to see dried blood on her dog bed, not just a small amount from a little cut or scratch, but a significant amount. :unsure That was not there last night when she went to bed. I checked her all over, three times, and found no source of the blood. I got her up and outside with the rest of the dogs, checked her again standing up and still found nothing. I even checked the other dogs just in case, but no blood on them. What could it be?

Did you check her mouth?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest RocketDog

another guess - perhaps she caught a little mousie and what you're seeing is the aftermath of a midnight snack? I know it sounds gruesome, but that's happened here...

I went home on my lunch hour today to check on her (it is a 25 minute drive each way so I could only stay a few minutes!). There was blood on her bedding again, not as much this time. I noticed what looked like a scab dried into it so I checked her all over again and as I was running my hands over her face my fingers caught on a scab and popped it open and blood immediately flowed out. So, turns out she has a cut on her upper "lip", on the outside but at the very bottom. I have no idea how it happened, and there's not much I can do for a cut in that spot. I wiped the area with a clean cloth dampened with water and then applied pressure with a dry cloth until the bleeding stopped. It's a terrible place for a cut and since Tuna loves to rub her head on anything and everything, and lick her tounge across her lips, it's going to be a cycle of scab, pop, bleed, scab, repeat until it finally heals itself.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Glad you found it! Frank was bleeding like a stuck pig the other day and the source turned out to be a teensy weensy scab on his hock that had gotten knocked off; scared the heck out of me!

awww, poor thing! Yeah, there's not much you can do about it in that space. Maybe feed her soft food she doesn't have to chew much?

Tuna does not chew, her food is ground in the blender and moistened so all she needs to do is lick & swallow.

My Nola (borzoi-saluki) has been going around licking up blood spots that I miss. :huh Either she does not like the sight of it or she likes the taste. :lol