From Diarrhea To Constipated

Guest LolaNLucy

Guest Dillymom

On Friday Lucy had a bad case of diarrhea. She had 6-7 bouts of it through out the day. I fasted her that night and gave her 2 immodium during the course of 12hrs. Saturday she woke up and again had diarrhea. I gave her boiled hamburger and rice for breakfast and 1 immodium. She had 1 more bout of diarrhea around 11am.

And then that's it. She hasn't pooped at all since 11am Saturday. She had boiled hamburger and rice for dinner Saturday, breakfast and dinner Sunday and for breakfast today. She's eating and drinking fine and not vomiting so what should I do? I keep thinking what goes in must come out but so far nothing is coming out.

Guest littlesyd85
Monarch was having bad diarrhea a while back (it was completely liquid) so I took her to the vet. They had me put her on a boiled chicken and rice diet and they said to continue it 5 days after she had no more diarrhea. They also mentioned that she may go 24 hours or a little more without pooping at all. So I would just keep an eye on her and make sure poops within the next day. I never gave Monarch immodium so I don't know what kind of reaction that can have on a dog. I hope that helps...

Guest VirginiaGreys

not pooping does not necessarily mean constipation... My suggestion is keeping feeding her what you are (the bland diet) until you see her pooping "normally" and then slowly start mixing in your dog food. Transition slowly.

Guest Energy11

Bland diet is still a good idea. If you WANT, you can give her a LITTLE unsweetened applesauce, to, "get things moving," but I wouldn't give a lot.

Mine LOVE it, but it give them runny poopies, if I give too much.

Good Luck, and it just might be the intestines, digestive system, etc., "normalizing" itself.

Guest Dillymom

K I will just keep her on the bland stuff until we go back to normal. She's never gone this long without pooping before- she's always pooped twice a day until now so it freaked me out.

Guest MyBoys

My boys are just getting over the same thing, I actually had to have my youngest boy put on IV fluids because in one day he had already started to de-hydrate. My other two guys were put on Immodium, 1 pill twice a day. It did take them a good day or two to get back to normal with their pooping schedule but all is well and all are now going regular.

Guest paulamariez

Don't worry about the not pooping. My guys do that all the time after getting Imodium. Bueller's gone a day and a half before pooping after having the Big D. It's just their systems readjusting itself. Don't give anything for constipation. It just takes time to work itself out.

I'd be freaked out too, but it's never happened to me before, and after reading the other posts I know I'd be less freaked out if it happened to me now.

Sounds like you just need to give it time :)

Lucy - poop already!!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Dillymom

We're now at over 2 full days and no poop. I thought for certain she'd poop after dinner tonight but still nothing. I'm frightened to see what comes out when she does finally go :eek

We're now at over 2 full days and no poop. I thought for certain she'd poop after dinner tonight but still nothing. I'm frightened to see what comes out when she does finally go :eek

When I went through this with Sam, he went two days or so without pooping. I was threatening to withhold all food from him until he pooped; I was getting so worried about the possibility that something was blocked up and that more food would make it worse.

He finally pooped. A perfectly normal--not huge, not soft--poop.

He pooped a couple of times more on that same day, and he acted as if absolutely nothing had been wrong.

Just take a deep breath and relax. As long as Lucy's not straining to go and failing to produce, you don't need to worry.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest LindsaySF

Dogs can withhold poop for a long time. Just ask Honey when we were in GIG. No fenced yard, she didn't poop for over 2 days....

It has to come out sometime. :lol As long as she's eating it will work its way through eventually.

Guest cassie234

when you say you gave your dogs immodium.....i dont want to sound stupid but do you mean the human type?

my dogs got runny stools at the moment....but he is on antibiotics......ive never heard about immodium though!!!! :-)

Guest Dillymom
when you say you gave your dogs immodium.....i dont want to sound stupid but do you mean the human type?

my dogs got runny stools at the moment....but he is on antibiotics......ive never heard about immodium though!!!! :-)

Yes but you might want to call your vet and check with them since yours is caused by antibiotics.

Woohoo- 93 hrs later Lucy finally pooped.

add some probiotics to her diet. also for bland food cook up white potato, yam, turnip and chicken broth. you can mix that on over cooked white rice and slowly integrate kibble in a week or so. or you can fee boiled white rice and 25% boiled beef. they won't die from malnutrition and their digestive systems will settle down and heal.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I know it's an old thread, but I'm going through almost exactly the same thing with Bea right now. She had a big diarrhoea on Wednesday morning, I then fasted her until the evening and have been feeding her a diet of just plain rice and chicken twice a day since. She went for a little, little runny poo last night - but that's it. I'm wondering where all the food's gone :o

I'm pretty sure she's not blocked because I know what caused it. She ate something dodgy in the park last Friday, then had diarrhoea and I did the same thing as this time only I went back to her normal food way to fast so she got the diarrhoea again on the Wednesday (stupid me trying to cut corners <_< ). Anyway, that time she did go for one normal-ish poo after a day or so, and since she's only eaten chicken and rice since I don't think that she's blocked.

She doesn't seem to be in pain, and she eats, drinks and pees just like normal and is just as active as she ever is. I've been trying to decide whether to see if I can get her an appointment at the vet today, or hold out and see if she'll go tonight. Seeing this thread has made me a little bit more reassured that maybe I should just wait and let the rice work it's magic.