Sadie Is Shedding Like Crazy

Guest Ashley

Lots and Lots of shedding. I was beginning to wonder if they were alone, thought it might be the fish oil tabs at first. I get so much hair off Thor, I think I could have a shawl knitted by now ! Nice to know others are really blowing their coats too. Somehow, its never been this much before.

Lizzie, Stel and Hitchie are all shedding like crazy right now (especially Stel). I swear, I think Lizzie sheds all year! Once Mac Daddy shedded out that West Virginia coat of his, he was good to go...slick as glass.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I came in from outside where I was brushing our Grey and the hair is flying everywhere!!!! This is the worst he has shed in a very long time. Soooooooooo, came here to find the answer and a possible solution. What do I find? Others are having the same problem. :lol:

His coat and skin look fine he is just shedding up a storm here and a hairy one at that!! He is on the Pro Plan Salmon food for Sensitive Stomachs that he has been on for months now. Is this breed supposed to shed this much? LOL!!!

I had Shelties for years so am used to shedding but at least I had *dust bunnies* to clean up. This short Grey hair is everywhere and very illusive.

Well, good to hear I'm not the only one.

Winter here yet? ;)

I use a curry comb and a shedding blade, both available for horses. Just be careful with the blade...it can and will cut the skin if you apply too much pressure. And keep brushing sessions short, so as not to irritate the skin too much.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest arlosmom

I have a fairly new boy adopted in May and he was from W. Virginia and the fuzziest greyhound I ever saw. Now he is almost bald. I guess shedding the kennel coat from a colder area and the regular end of summer shed. Poor baby is all pink skin on his little legs. He is white.

Guest RocketDog

I use a furminator when the shedding gets really heavy, but limit the brushing to a few minutes at a time and use as little pressure as possible. Regular use of a nubby hound glove works too, but the furminator really helps pull out the old coat when the shedding is at its worst...

Guest Lovey_Hounds
I bought a ZoomGroom yesterday, but what is the best way to use it? And how do I clean all that crazy hair from it!?

Brush with the way the hair grows and then massage up and down (head to bum, bum to head) to clean it pick the hair out or tap it on something to knock the hair out. it can also be used in the tub when you are washing her to scrub and loosen hair.