Blood Donor

Does anyone use their Greyhound as blood donor?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest MitchsMom

My 5 year old is a donor at OSU as well. She is treated like a Queen (the Diva that she is) and they are very gentle and caring with her. Never a problem with the whole process.

Henry is a donor....He's our Hero....just last month he saved a puppys life. He is so good about donating, as long as I am petting him talking to him he's fine. After a few cookies,he's ready to go home...never any problems.

Guest Scouts_mom

I've known 2 greys that were donors. They loved doing it as they barely noticed the blood being taken and loved the treats they were fed afterwards and the toys and loving they got. If my girls were eligible, I would do it with mine.

I will be donating at the vet clinic I use. I used to work for them part time and would have stayed if I could have afforded. But, alas, I needed a full time job. I love the vet and he takes care of my three dogs and three cats. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of donating.My heart says it is a do it.. Samlur is 2 1/2 years old and quit healthy. He just had his check up :)

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest ThunderPaws

My Diesel and Midnight are blood donors at the North Carolina vet school in Raleigh NC!

I am hoping to also get my new boy Tater qualified as a donor. My other dogs are either too old, have a heart murmur or weigh less than the required 50 pounds.

I drop them off in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon, it's like free doggie daycare, and it helped Midnight overcome her fear of people because the vet students pet them and give them treats. Now she loves that place! Diesel not so much, but once they take him to the back he is ok and gives everyone kisses.

The blood bank girls are very good with the dogs, it is not painful, and they get a bunch of yummy treats. They also get free vaccinations, complete blood test, urinalysis, full tick titer, Heartguard and Frontline.

Plus you know that your dogs help save lives!!! :colgate

Guest westexhound
Plus you know that your dogs help save lives!!! :colgate

It certainly does!!! Having been on the receiving end of that with one of our non-greys, I just want to say thanks to all those blood donors out there. A blood transfusion definitely saved her life just a few months ago!

Thank you!!! :clap

I am so glad Samlur and I decided to do this. Thank You for all your support. My vet said he would give Sam his dental for free as part of a thank you.

Edited by beledi

Persian Proverb

:rivethead Yep, not just my grey but my GSP is on the emergany call for our local vet, we have been called out several times in the middle of the night, we are glad to help, any time

Guest luckydog

Hazel is a blood donor for the University of Pennsylvania Vet School. She's got one more year of eligibility and then it'll be total retirement for her (and free blood products for the rest of her life should she need them).

GAA over in NJ does a full spread of greyhound blood donations for the Penn Vet school. They hooked us up with Penn on this side of the Delaware/

All of my current dogs are/were donors. Jake is no longer as we still don't know why he is having swollen legs.

The hounds don't mind, and you sure feel good when their blood saves a life. Peanut's first donation was used to help a Mama dog and her puppies who had distemper.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ChasesMum

I have thought about it quite a lot, the process is a little different in Canada but I will be talking to the vet in more detail when she gets her checkup this year.

I wonder if hypothyroid meds disqualifies her...

He will be there after we get him typed.

Persian Proverb

murray donates to the university of pennsylvania vet hospital. they have a mobile bloodmobile that visits our area several times each year.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I have thought about it quite a lot, the process is a little different in Canada but I will be talking to the vet in more detail when she gets her checkup this year.

I wonder if hypothyroid meds disqualifies her...

More than likely. Our blood donor program will only allow heartworm meds.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.