Squirrel Bites

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

So lots of you have already heard the story of Squirrel's demise this afternoon. Well, the squirrel went down swinging.

Lark has a scrape on her paw- not sure if its from the squirrel or the fence- it looks more like a scrape than a bite, but I'm hardly a squirrel-bite expert. It's not very big but has gotten a bit puffy over the day which alarms me a bit- nothing major, although she's limping- I've never seen her injured before so I'm not exactly sure if she's prone to dramatics. She had a bite on her snoot this morning that I can't even find under her fur now, so it must be healing well. Riley is black and brindle so harder to see. He has a nice slice on the inside of his lip that bled really well this morning- it's about 1/4 " long and deeper than I'd like but it's not bad, and another cut on his ear that's certainly not vet worthy. He has no problem eating, although he keeps smacking his gums so I bet it hurts.

I'm concerned about disease.. infection... do you think I need to do anything? Do they need antibiotics? I put them both in the bathtub and swabbed them down with peroxide this morning- except riley's mouth of course.

Ok, I understand that nature and breeding has made them excellent hunters- this is not their first capture or kill... what I don't get..is why they were bred with such flimsy skin that they get so cut up whenever they catch something :angryfire

Guest DundeeToddsMom

When Roxie got bite by a squirrel on her lip/nose area it bled like crazy. Called the vet in a panic - she said just to clean it off and watch to make sure no infection since Roxie was up to date on her rabies shots. Luckly Mr squirrel made it out ok - just a little shocked maybe that Roxie caught him.

I'd soak Lark's scrape in water with epsom salt, then dry and apply an antibiotic ointment.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest eaglflyt

I'd call your vet just to make sure that antibiotics aren't needed. Watch it closely for redness, swelling, warmth, and any draining. I'm sure you've already cleaned all the sites with antibacterial soap/solution.

I've helped with squirrels in wildlife rehab and those little buggers can BITE! They could chomp through the heavy leather gloves that we used to handle the eagles and owls. I'd rather deal with wrestling a bobcat than trying to mess with a mad squirrel.

I hope Lark heals quickly and stays away from the biting squirrels for a while.

My greyhound got into a tangle with a stray cat last week and got a few bites and since we couldn't verify rabies status of the cat, my greyhound got another rabies shot as a booster.

edited to add -- my dog was already on antibiotics for a leg infection otherwise, the vet probably would have put him on antibiotics for a a week or so.

Edited by MaryJane

I've helped with squirrels in wildlife rehab and those little buggers can BITE! They could chomp through the heavy leather gloves that we used to handle the eagles and owls. I'd rather deal with wrestling a bobcat than trying to mess with a mad squirrel.

Yep, I always wear my raptor gloves to handle squirrels, even young ones. They have some teeth on them!

At least they rarely carry and even more rarely transmit rabies, so your houndies shouldn't need a rabies booster.

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Our Vet said a rabies booster wasn't necessary for a squirrel bite since they rarely have rabies. My guys weren't put on antibiotics for it either.

Guest mickie37

Cappy is the great squirrel hunter and has had many bites.chow.gif They are usually on his nose and a call to the Vet put my mind at ease as far as rabies. I clean the bites with a very dilute solution of povidone iodine, rinse the area with water and then just let them heal. I have not been successful with applying any ointment as it is licked off almost as soon as I apply it.

Good luck.

Mickie

Guest Energy11

Clean the wounds daily, with a little warm water, apply whatever antibacterial ointment you use, try to keep them covered. If they start getting oozy, red, swollen or puffy, I'd ask the vet for an antibiotic. Usually they prescribe Keflex, 500 mg, two to three times a day for bites.

Sorry you had to go through this!

Guest karma98104

Thanks! Everyone seems ok today- I did soak lark's foot in Epsom salts and she stopped limping right away- the bite is right over her bone so i bet it was just really sore. I really don't like the cut on riley's lip but it doesn't seem to bother him and it doesn't look infected.

Haha... to the poster who said that they'd rather tangle with a bobcat than a squirrel-- you should have seen the damage a domestic cat did to these guys last year... aiyee... that was some vet bill. I'll take squirrel any day!!!