Quick Bordetella Question

Our vet recommended that we don't give our 13-year-old girl a Bordetella vaccine -- due to her age and because she's never boarded, doesn't go to doggy daycare, etc.

But, we just adopted a 4-year-old boy and we had him vaccinated. We would like to get him involved in lure coursing, and we'd like to take him to doggy daycare once a month or so, just to give him a fun day (he loves to play and our 13-year-old doesn't, hah!).

My question is -- if he were exposed to the Bordetella bacteria, could he carry it home and give it to our girl - even though he wouldn't be infected because he is vaccinated?

Guest Energy11

Yes, he could carry it home. When I worked at the vets, I vaccinated TWICE a year, because of my work environment. Even though I was careful, I was still concerned about bringing things home.

I guess it is a judgement call, whether vaccinate the 13 yr old, or not. I would ask your vet this exact same question ... about the lure coursing, being around other dogs, etc., and bringing it home to the 13 yr old. Even though dogs are vaccinated against this, there ARE other strains, as well.

This is a tough one! Good Luck!

Another reason to use the bordatella vaccine, I think, is the canine influenza that periodically makes the rounds of greyhounds.

I figured that if my guys got the bordatella vaccine regularly, but suddenly fell sick with a respiratory infection, then we could assume influenza rather than kennel cough and treat appropriately, rather than trying to guess which ailment they had.

At least, that's my theory--and I'm sticking to it. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11
Another reason to use the bordatella vaccine, I think, is the canine influenza that periodically makes the rounds of greyhounds.

I figured that if my guys got the bordatella vaccine regularly, but suddenly fell sick with a respiratory infection, then we could assume influenza rather than kennel cough and treat appropriately, rather than trying to guess which ailment they had.

At least, that's my theory--and I'm sticking to it. :)

Excellent theory, and a GREAT idea!

The vets told us that FIRST bordatella has to be by a shot. :dunno Boosters can be given Internasally if preferred. At the daycare it was mandatory twice a year. It is *supposed* to be good for a year but lots of failures were found at around 9 months or so so that is why the twice a year for dogs with heavy other dog contact.

Bordatella is not prone to side effects and around $12 in Dallas for a nasal booster. I've given a few hundred of them. It is cheap *sort of* insurance to let you sleep better knowing you have done all you can. My vet thinks it covers less that 50% of the strains out there but something is better than nothing -- right?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mountain4greys

All mine got the shot the first time, then after that, up the nose.

I don't board my hounds, but I do take them to Meet and Greets, which the vet said it would be a good idea for them to have it.

Many boarding facilities--including PetSmart Pet Hotels--require a bordatella immunization within the last six months, even though, technically, it's a 12-month vaccine.

My guys usually get the nose-snort twice a year. The only "complication" was the time Sam jerked back so hard afterwards that he hit his head on the vet's metal table: I think he dented the table, but he was fine. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Gee, two of ours just got their first ones yesterday nasally. He said this one seems to work as well as the shot. Our third and newest dog had bortadella at the adoption kennel but I don't know which type. The vet did say they were good for 12 months. :dunno

I do shot first, then nasal every year, the youngest pup travels all over with DH, and I never know who he is in contact with, so sure don't what it drug home to the others