Tramadol + Ridadyl Ok At Same Time?

Guest KennelMom

Sounds like you had a really long night :( A few months ago I took Rocky in to the e-vet for very similar symptoms. The E-vet gave him methylcarbamol + more tramadol. Follow up w/the regular vet when the symptoms weren't better in 24 hours and we ran him on a course of doxy. He has had Ehrlichia in the past, which can flair up and cause those weird, wacky symptoms that TBDs have. Made him good as new.

Even if the E-vet has 'zero' greyhound experience, greyhounds are still dogs....so they should be able to diagnose and treat.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Energy11

I used to give the Tramadol and Deramaxx TOGETHER, but your vet can tell you better how to space them out.

Re: What is causing this???? The more I read, the more it sounds MUSCULAR. As one of the OPs said, maybe asking your vet for a muscle relaxer? Valium might quiet her down, and it has been used, and still is, in some cases, as a muscle relaxer.

Obviously, you'd ask the vet about mixing all of the meds, etc. Keep us posted.

Hope all gets back to normal, soon. D

After going to to e-vet last night Gracie was in worse pain.

She spent the day at my regular vet where she was given a morphine drip and fluids. Bloodwork was normal.

I picked her up this afternoon and she was walkable but wonky.

I can continue with the tramadol - vet didn't feel it was a problem.

Xrays were digital, read by an outside source, I didn't care for the positioning (I'm an xray tech) but at least they did not have to anesthetize her.

There is a narrowing of the disk spaces at T 11-12, T 13-S 1, but the worst at T 12-13. Otherwise spine is well aligned.

I am to call in the morning and update him.

She ate a small meal, had a short nap, peed, pooed and is fighting the sleepy effects of morphine now but at least she is not panting.

We are to keep her leash-walked and low-active. Hopefully Friday she can get some prednisone finally.

I hope she will rest through the night.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
After going to to e-vet last night Gracie was in worse pain.

She spent the day at my regular vet where she was given a morphine drip and fluids. Bloodwork was normal.

I picked her up this afternoon and she was walkable but wonky.

I can continue with the tramadol - vet didn't feel it was a problem.

Xrays were digital, read by an outside source, I didn't care for the positioning (I'm an xray tech) but at least they did not have to anesthetize her.

There is a narrowing of the disk spaces at T 11-12, T 13-S 1, but the worst at T 12-13. Otherwise spine is well aligned.

I am to call in the morning and update him.

She ate a small meal, had a short nap, peed, pooed and is fighting the sleepy effects of morphine now but at least she is not panting.

We are to keep her leash-walked and low-active. Hopefully Friday she can get some prednisone finally.

I hope she will rest through the night.

YOU get some rest, my friend! REMEMBER, CALL IF YOU NEED ME ... anytime! I am used to getting up all hours of the night...from EMS, and with this bunch of greys here! Huge hugs!!!!!! D

Guest Energy11

Neurotin

Ah, there is something you might also want to mention to the vet, thanks to one of the wonderful OPs, here! Didn't even think about this, but my DH is on it for HIS back!

Poor peanut, and poor tired momma. Sending lots of prayers for good healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MnMDogs

I hope that she's doing ok - I know I'm late on this, but Matty also reacted very poorly to the bupe which was the last thing we tried for her osteo pain. It was horrible to watch :( Hopefully you girlie is on the mend.

Gracie had a rough start to her evening with the morphine starting to wear off. She was really fighting the urge to sleep.

She did sleep OK during the night. We heard one little yelp at 1am, another at 3am and then I took her out to pee and got another pill.

She ate well this morning and no more yelps.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I spoke with Gracie's vet today about her treatment plan:

Continue tramadol every 8 hours and space it out further unless she really needs it.

Hold off on any steroids for now.

I asked for something to help if she had another episode at night or on the weekend. I can now give her valium but will do so only if she stiffens up.

The lesson learned from all this:

My vet was not mad at me for giving Gracie the rimadyl and tramadol, given her history of bursitis and how we've treated it before.

Had we known this episode was going to be so different and if I'd not given the rimadyl, Gracie could have had a steroid shot that would have helped her to relax sooner. Given the severity of this one she still would have needed the morphine and tramadol.

Gracie ate well today, she doesn't appear as drugged - just tired. She did a few stretches. Hopefully the worst is behind us although still will have this spine problem

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky is Chiropractics an option?

No, nothing near me. I would consider acupuncture but that's over an hour away too. :(

tiny hada siggy.png