Tramadol + Ridadyl Ok At Same Time?

Is it OK to give Tramadol and Rimadyl (Vetprofen) at the same time? I'm thinking I remember it is.

Gracie ran a bit too hard around the yard. Didn't run into anything. But when she's overdone it she'll yelp a little bit when she goes from a lying to raising up position.

I think last time I had a Tramadol and gave that first. Tonight I gave her one Rimadyl.

Am considering adding a Tramadol tonight or wait til I hear any yelps tonight. Or just wait and give her a Tramadol in the morning.

She tolerates either med well.

Just as I had her up and walking slowly out to potty, Pudge saw a cat deep in the backyard and they both took off. Gracie let out one little yelp but it wasn't from the (escaped) cat. Then she walked slowly in.

Usually after these episodes she's OK within a day. Doesn't feel like it warrants an e-vet. We know for sure she has bursitis in one shoulder (by xray).

Any thoughts?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just PM'd you, Ducky. You can give these meds together.

The other thing I've found that works if the pain is primarily muscular is methocarbamol (Robaxin). It's not an NSAID, strictly a skeletal muscle relaxant.

Hope Gracie is a lot more comfortable in the morning...

J

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

waiting for e vet to call so i can bring her in

tiny hada siggy.png

given injection of buprenorphine for pain

no fever

couldn't give any steroids since i'd given her the tramadal and rimadyl

they said she'd get sleepy but she's still standing and panting

i will keep watch on her tonight

after 10 minutes at home finally laid down - no yelp, still panting

what is the space of time needed between steroids and nsaids?

rimadyl given @8pm , tramadol given @10pm

how many hours must pass before she could be treated with a steroid?

wow, 2:18am and no one logged on board......it's very quiet, lonely and scary here right now

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytkidsmom

Here's an early morning hug. Glad she is finally laying down.

I don't think there is a specific time for waiting after an NSAID is given before starting steriods. Probably just the half-life of the rimadyl. You shouldn't take both concurrently as it can cause a stomach ulcer. It really depends on the vet's level of comfort giving the shot. Could you try some ice or moist heat in the meantime to help with the pain?

Hope the two of you get some rest. Worrying is exhausting.

Thanks.

We don't know where the pain is exactly. I can touch her all over with no yelps. But yelps when rising, yelped going in the car to e-vet.

She just ran too darn hard this evening. Normally she'd just be a bit stiff and achy. It's not too often I have to give her tramadol.

This time she kept standing by my bed panting. I know it will sound weird but she wanted me to keep massaging her. No yelps when doing that.

Still panting now, not as bad as when we first got home. She's laying down, leaning against the wall but her head is up. It's as if she doesn't want to give in to the medication.

I'm going to try to lie down down myself - have to go to work in a few short hours. Hopefully Gracie will take my cue and relax.

tiny hada siggy.png

3:00am been back up and panting/pacing for past 15 minutes

won't relax

I feel powerless to help her

no use calling vet again - she is the worst one possible to be on call

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytkidsmom

Can you give another tramadol? It has been about 6 hours since the last dose. It won't interfere in the event your regular vet wants to do steriods in the morning.

Come on, sweet Gracie, lie down and rest.

Called e-vet in a town 1.5 hours away. They said I could give her another tramadol and it wouldn't interfere with any possible steroid in the morning.

Can you give another tramadol? It has been about 6 hours since the last dose. It won't interfere in the event your regular vet wants to do steriods in the morning.

Come on, sweet Gracie, lie down and rest.

We posted at the same time. Yes, giving her another tramadol. Thanks......

tiny hada siggy.png

I feel trapped. E-vet on call is the worst one possible. Buprenorphine injection hasn't made a dent in Gracie's discomfort. Vet says she has zero experience with greyhounds.

There's nothing I can do for her until 9am - if I can get off work - should be but have to go in first.

My vet opens at 9.

Nearest other e-vet is 1.5 hours away. But at 7am dogs can't stay over because it's a speciality cllinic. No emergency hours at the one I'd like to be at 3 hours away.

I'd rather the pain be mine.

Once we get in to my regular vet, how close can they shave the time before giving a steroid from when I gave the stupid rimadyl at 8pm ? I thnk the half-life of rimadyl is 24 hours. Stupid mommy.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greybookends

OH Ducky! I don't know what to tell you. I hope you can get Gracie some relief and some rest for yourself. Prayers being sent out for Gracie.

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

I did find this:

Peak blood

plasma concentrations are achieved in 1-3 hours after oral administration of 1, 5, and 25 mg/kg to

dogs. The mean terminal half-life of carprofen is approximately 8 hours (range 4.5-9.8 hours) after

single oral doses varying from 1-35 mg/kg of body weight.

Would that mean she might not have to wait 24 hours before getting a steroid? (She is not routinely on rimadyl)

tiny hada siggy.png

putting it together:

8pm injury/severe strain? from running

(not routinely on rimadyl or tramadol) wt 79 lbs. age 9 Gracie McComas

no limp but yelping when trying to lay down or rise

no focal site of discomfort, pacing and panting

8pm gave her rimadyl 75mg

9pm gave tramadol 50 mg

10pm, second tramadol 50mg

still panting, pacing, yelping

1:30am e-vet gives buprenorphine injection, says she will relax and sleep soon

restless, panting, pacing all night few brief moments of laying down, yelping

3:30am gave tramadol 50mg

6:00am laid down for 20 minutes, up pacing again, panting

will go camp out at regular vet in hopes of being first walk-in at 9

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest SusanP

Simon took both together for a couple of years for her arthritis, but whenever I'm not sure about something, I make a call to the vet to be on the safe side.

"1:30am e-vet gives buprenorphine injection" Don't know if this is any comfort, but my Angel Molly always reacted to this drug with panting and pacing. We discovered her sensivity to it after a dental.

Good wishes this morning that she can get some relief. NSAIDS do not always work with just one, the blood levels have to get to a certain level.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

"1:30am e-vet gives buprenorphine injection" Don't know if this is any comfort, but my Angel Molly always reacted to this drug with panting and pacing. We discovered her sensivity to it after a dental.

This is a good point. And I know some dogs have reacted similarly to tramadol. Tramadol is an atypical opioid and it looks like buprenorphine is an opioid as well. So she it may not be a pain issue at this point, but a reaction to opioids.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MorganKonaAlex

It looks like others beat me to it but some dogs can't take opiate medications. Opiates would cause panting and pacing for Morgan. We had to use Neurotin (Gabapentin) when he needed a pain med. You can combine Neurotin with NSAIDS and/or tramadol if needed too.

I see several others have got in here before me, Ducky, but yes, these meds can be given together. I'd say this is an idiosyncratic reaction to the Tramadol. Personally, I wouldn't give her any more. As you have already read, Jack was just the same when he had it.

I hope she settles soon - and that her aches and pains are better soon, too!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop