Hobbling With Splint

Since Runner broke his toe a few days ago and we are looking at 6 to 8 weeks in a splint, I am just wondering what damage (or whatever) hobbling around with a splint on for that long can do to them. Runner is still basically hopping around like a tripod (broken toe on front leg) and so his gait is just awful. Being a chiropractic patient myself, I am wondering the long term effects, if any, this will have on the alignment of his spine, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

Guest Energy11

I don't think there are any long-term effects. I have seen a lot of dogs with splints on, when I worked at the vets, and once they came off, the dog was fine. This includes a 5.5 week GH puppy given to our group from a farm with a broken leg. She got six splint changes, once a week, and today, you wouldn't even know she had a break!

Good Luck! I know it is a long road when they are splinted, and of course, you can address your concerns to your vet as well.

Gustopher P Jones had his splint on for quite some time and used to scare the daylights out of me because he would run full tilt in the yard. I was terrified that he would break his leg. I was never so happy as I was the day they took the splint off so I could quit worrying.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

My vet will not splint broken toes. He says he has seen far worse damage from splinting (from rubbing and also transferring pressure further up on the leg) than allowing it to heal on its own. When Buck broke his he was fine in about 8 weeks with no splint. Depends on the vet I guess.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg