Melatonin And Greys?

I was reading how some dogs react well with using melatonin for anxiety/fear. Has anyone ever used this on a grey? Would it be the same dosage as other dogs? The ones I have for humans are 3mg pills. Maybe this would be a better option than Prozac?

The Readers Digest version is that we are having issues getting Sunshine to relax enough outside to potty. :rolleyes:

------

Jessica

Guest Energy11

I tried it with my two thunderphobic hounds, and it really did nothing for THEM, but, all hounds/people, react differently to medications and supplements! Might be worth a try. Good Luck!

I tried it with my two thunderphobic hounds, and it really did nothing for THEM, but, all hounds/people, react differently to medications and supplements! Might be worth a try. Good Luck!

Thanks! I've been researching it today, but wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt the greys. I just gave her the first dose. Should maybe kick in by the time the last potty walk comes.

------

Jessica

Melatonin works well on all of mine. If it doesn't work for yours there are other homeophathic meds you can try. Rescue Remedy works well for some. I always like to go with the least amount of any med , and homeopathic before chemical if I can.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11
Melatonin works well on all of mine. If it doesn't work for yours there are other homeophathic meds you can try. Rescue Remedy works well for some. I always like to go with the least amount of any med , and homeopathic before chemical if I can.

Mine do well with Rescue Remedy ... actually, just had to use it on Cari and Staggerlee (bad storms came thru). The new formula comes wihtout alcohol, too!

Guest Ashley

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but would melatonin help with SA? Aadil and I were looking into different treatments for Sadie's loud whining and yelping, and I'd really like to try something other than drugs from the vet.

Guest jskelton

Melatonin has not been all that effective for us. Rescue Remedy helps. I give a dropper full directly in the mouth. Anything less really doesn't do much for our pup. Also use Alprazolam as an alternative when we know we'll have a day of stormy weather. Though symptoms are improved, nothing prevents the panting and hiding in closet.

Edited by jskelton

Guest Keystone

We always try melatonin first on our fosters and dogs that are encountering anxiety, etc. Also use DAP collars. The max dose of melatonin is 3 mg three times a day. It takes a while for it to kick in, doesn't seem to affect them adversely, and some it seems to help.

Guest katieandpadfoot

I use Melatonin on both of my greys for anxiety.....I was told by my vet to use it too....I give mine 3mg's twice a day...it does take about 2 weeks for it to kick in so you have to be patient. It does not have any adverse effects on the because they naturally have melatonin in their bodies.

I have a dog that is very sensitive to pressure changes (storms coming, altitude changes) and Melatonin works for her.

I also have an article that I don't remember where I got it from but it tells how Melatonin works and the doseage amounts plus all the things it helps. I don't know how to post the link to it so if someone who does will e-mail I will send it to you so you can post it to help others. It is surprising how it works, at least for us.

rpul1@cableone.net

Ruth