Finally Watched Marley And Me

And of couse Bob and I cried and cried. :crying

I did say that if a dog suffers from bloat it was caused by bad management just like a horse that "ties up." Now I remember the vet in the movie saying it will happen again. Huh? If a dog had bloat they are prone to bloat again (like a horse that has azoturia or as I recall it also being called "black water') they will indeed tie up again if not managed properly.

Is that true?

Also I thought Marley died of old age? And why wasn't bloat touched on more in the movie? :(

I could bash them, it was their fault not knowing and feeding Marley and letting him run after BUT if it happened again well what can I say???

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I believe that bloat and the following "torsion" is first and foremost a genetic predisposition. But after that, I have heard anicdotal evidence that a dog that bloats will be prone to future episodes. In fact, it is standard practice for a dog that has had a torsion to staple certain parts of the GI tract to the rib cage to stop future issues.

Chad

Having experienced the nightmare of bloat with our Rhodesian Ridgeback, it is my understanding that bloat does have a tendency to recur. Our vet attached Champion's stomach to his ribcage to prevent a future episode.

I blame myself completely because I allowed him to race around the yard right after he had eaten. Mismanagement indeed. :cry1

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Energy11

Yes, once a dog bloats, it is a much higher chance of bloating again.

While Marley and Me was SAD at the end, it was still a wonderful story of a family and their dog. It was real life, even though the ending was sad.

Guest TBSFlame
Having experienced the nightmare of bloat with our Rhodesian Ridgeback, it is my understanding that bloat does have a tendency to recur. Our vet attached Champion's stomach to his ribcage to prevent a future episode.

I blame myself completely because I allowed him to race around the yard right after he had eaten. Mismanagement indeed. :cry1

I can't tell you how many times after eating my dogs ran around. I tried to stop them and worried about it so much that is why I put up a smaller fence across the patio and potty area. They can't run now. The big back yard is gated away so I can control when they go out there. This is the very reason and because I hated them racing out into the dark chasing wild things. It was the best thing I ever did.

Guest Energy11

I can't tell you how many times after eating my dogs ran around. I tried to stop them and worried about it so much that is why I put up a smaller fence across the patio and potty area. They can't run now. The big back yard is gated away so I can control when they go out there. This is the very reason and because I hated them racing out into the dark chasing wild things. It was the best thing I ever did.

I have the same type of set-up. A small pen in the front for after meals and at night, with a privacy-type fence, and a larger pen for during the day.

I am in the habit of having my animals rest after a meal. Just like horses you would not ride them after they have eaten grain. Also my greys like most I am sure are in the habit of resting after their meal.

I am glad I now know that once they bloat they are prone to bloat again. Scary stuff. I printed out that sheet that was posted on bloat last week, it is a really good reference.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest WhiteWave

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2&aid=402

My dobe bloated last year and torsioned (twisted). He has surgery and was tacked. He bloated again last month. Didn't torsion (tacks held) and was able to be decompressed and have stomach cleaned out. He bloated possible b/c of a motility issue with this stomach or just being a Dobe. The last episode weakened him and combined with his other issues (DCM and wobblers) he passed a way last Monday at age 11.

It is reocurring and poor management doesn't usually have anything to do it, doesn't help matters, but I think all the management in the world isn't going to stop it if it is going to happen. Genetics is probably the biggest cause. But nobody really knows why. I had Zeus seen by over a dozen vets and none could tell me why other than maybe a motility issue. All recommended the same thing. Small meals, limit activity before/after, and watch water intake.

Bloat is horrible, painful, ugly disease, right up there w/ osteosarcoma in my book.

My friend from the Dobe board almost lost her boy Butchie a few days. He bloated for the first time. Thankfully he survived the surgery and got to come home today. He is a month younger than Zeus was. They sorta grew up together on the message board.

Guest kydie

In the story, no surgery was done on the dog, as he was to old, so the stomach was sutured, as is done when surgery is done, a bloat not olny has to tdo with exercise, it has to do with over feeding at a single meal once a day feeding can cause this, not in all dogs, it is prevelent in deep chested dogs, sad but true, hope I never have to go through this again

Guest BlueCrab

Our rescued German Shepherd bloated with torsion back in 2006. We were very careful and he was a calm dog - no running around after meals. What he DID do after meals was to go into his crate for a nap. I believed at the time - and still do - that his bloat was caused by him turning and turning in his crate to make his bed.

Feeding potision (raised vs non), genetics, breed (large chested) and activity after eating are the causes most often discussed.

He was a smart enough boy to come find me elsewhere in the house to tell me something was wrong, and I knew immediately from the symptoms what happened so called the e-vet from the car to give them warning. Symptoms were violent heaving in attempt to vomit with very litttle to no output except a lot of froth, plus the distended and hard belly.

Otto was 11 and in somewhat fragile health due to spinal issues. We opted not to operate as the e-vet felt that they were able to unroll the torsion by manipulation and intubation, plus we weren't sure he'd survive the surgery. After three days of worsening health and almost constant vet care, we finally had to make the decision to put him out of his pain.

It was absolutely the worst three days of our lives and broke my heart. But I'll tell you "mismanagement" had nothing to do with it. I do absolutely believe it's got a genetic component but never knew Otto's family history so could find nothing out there.

Our two who bloated (one with torsion, one without) were quite elderly. Nothing else was a factor.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When my guy bloated the first time he had nothing out of the ordinary to eat, just his usual breakfast which was 1/2 of his daily ration. Was not turned out until 1 hour after breakfast. Was then put in a 10' x 30' pen. Was later brought in & spent the afternoon inside. Did not show obvious signs of bloating until late afternoon. Based on symptoms he likely torsioned at approximately 6:00 PM BEFORE his dinner & as I was driving home from work. BF was at home & called to report initial odd behavior which kept me from working late. Then called again while I was on my way home to report the alarming symptoms.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter what you do. Other times folks do everything wrong and the dogs does not bloat & torsion. You just never know. Yes you should take precautions to limit the possibility of bloat but it is not fair to say GDV comes from poor management.

Yes, supposedly they are more prone to bloating again. The stomach is usually tacked during GDV surgery to prevent torsion in case they do bloat again.

Guest tricolorhounds

No experience with bloat here... The movie left out a lot that was in the book. He does indeed die of old age at the end of the book. I also recall that the 1st time he bloated he was at the boarding kennel at the Vets office while the family was on vacation.

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest Energy11
No experience with bloat here... The movie left out a lot that was in the book. He does indeed die of old age at the end of the book. I also recall that the 1st time he bloated he was at the boarding kennel at the Vets office while the family was on vacation.

Key point there! We had a greyhound die in the kennel/vets where I was manager. He was fed, turned out, all okay, but later on, about 1 p.m., he was found dead in his kennel! I said it was bloat, ... the vet, said a stroke. Dog was too young for a stroke! Kennels are EXTREMELY stressful! They echo the barking, and even with the radio on, people in and out, dogs stress VERY easily! I would NEVER, ever, board my dogs. If my dogs can't go, I don't go, but IF I had to, there would be a live in pet sitter here.

It's my understanding that deep chested dogs are more prone to bloat. I used to feed my dogs and let them out to go potty, unfortunately they would decide that was the time to play and run so I switched it around and let them go out and potty before dinner. They're smart things though, realizing dinner comes after that potty break, they don't run, just take care of business and come in and eat. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Lacie
I did say that if a dog suffers from bloat it was caused by bad management just like a horse that "ties up." Now I remember the vet in the movie saying it will happen again. Huh? If a dog had bloat they are prone to bloat again (like a horse that has azoturia or as I recall it also being called "black water') they will indeed tie up again if not managed properly.

Is that true?

I'm no help with the bloat aspect, but the horse-pital (when my horse was a patient) told me horses are more prone to colic-induced colon torsions if they've had a previous torsion. This can be related to a management issue as food, exercise, and dehydration can lead colic.

Guest twhitehouse

I haven't seen the movie but I have read the book. Marley didn't die of old age (although he was 12) he died of bloat. Only in the book...it wasn't from running around after eating. He had been at a kennel since they were away and the stress and excitment at the kennel caused bloat.... Or so the story goes.

Well after all the information and reading these comments I am going to be very careful not to forget the signs of this horrible thing. I always knew what not to do but did not know what were the signs. Obviously onw will know there is something wrong but if it is bloat time is of the essence! I wish it was touched upon a bit more in the movie.