Greyhound In Very Hot Apartment...

Guest rsb1

Guest snakes

I am on the top floor here in salem, so far we haven't used any a/c. However, my place has only got to a max of 85/87degrees. What i do here is that i got some great window fans (they sit inside the window frame) and have them full blast at night to draw in the cool air, then shut them off in the morning so they don't draw in hot air. I usually use one for myself inside during the daytime hours. I am lucky to work after 3pm, so during the day i usually take the pups to the water and let them cool off in the AM and right before i leave for work.

I also leave one dog bowl in the freezer overnight with about 1/2inch of water, then when i leave for work i top it up with cold water and just let the ice melt keeping their water cool. I also give them frozen broccoli as treats that really helps them cool down!

Even last summer with a one day of 90 something degrees the dogs were ok, they chilled out on the cool kitchen floor, and at night we went walking in the cool evening. Of course more than two days of 90odd and i need the a/c! i usually leave it set something around 78/80 while i am gone.

I tried the cooling beds, they won't go on them due the 'squishy' nature of them, and the elevated bed they didn't like the instability.

I like the sheet idea proposed. I will say, my two only are allowed in the bedroom and kitchen when i leave (about 2/3 of 600sqft) and are fine, in fact form what i can tell they rarely leave my bed. I would have no problem leaving them in the bedroom with water while i am gone, even behind a closed door, not much different than me closing the front door behind me!

Good luck! luckily today with the rain should cool down and this weekend should be less humid!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mtnbluebird

I don't use air conditioning in my house, and I think it's been getting up into the mid 80's. I just spray the boys down with water and we keep the fans on, so the evaporating water cools them off. Even though they don't sweat, the still get the cooling affect of sweating when you mist them. The get lots of water when we are away during the day, and they are fine. A bit hot after walks, but not so much that they don't want to eat :-) Plus they've gradually gotten used to the heat.

Guest sweetpea

Since we're offering up differing opinions, is there any reason why your pup can't just stay in your

cool bedroom room with the door closed?

Sweetpea stays in my bedroom with the door closed all day, year-round, that's her master-suite-crate.

No problems.

Now that it's been flirting with 100 here, getting her out of my air-conditioned room has been the chore!

Buzzy

Guest ctgreylover

I like the idea of the bedroom with the sheet over the door... you can get pressure rods from family dollar which wont leave any damage. dog can come and go and you only have to keep the ac at 75-80

Can't stand it too hot and have our A/C at 75. I start to get REALLY grumpy if the inside temp gets to 80. At 90, either I would be dead or anyone in the house with me would :angryfire My 2 pups would overheat something fierce in those temps.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Energy11
Can't stand it too hot and have our A/C at 75. I start to get REALLY grumpy if the inside temp gets to 80. At 90, either I would be dead or anyone in the house with me would :angryfire My 2 pups would overheat something fierce in those temps.

I KNEW I liked you! We think the EXACT same way! I like MY temps below 65, and belong in Alaska, northern Canada, or Maine! "))) I MUST say, the Nt. Georgia Mountains are far, far, far better than Central Florida! I get VERY grumpy when it is hotttt!! !:-( :angryfire

I KNEW I liked you! We think the EXACT same way! I like MY temps below 65, and belong in Alaska, northern Canada, or Maine! "))) I MUST say, the Nt. Georgia Mountains are far, far, far better than Central Florida! I get VERY grumpy when it is hotttt!! !:-( :angryfire

:cheers Energy!!!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest IrskasMom

I have my AC on 78 . Just Comfortable but not cold and it isn't tooo hard on my Budget . My Son hangs in the Family-

Room downstairs and it's automaticaly cooler there.

The problem is that the way my apartment is setup, there is nothing I can do about the living room and kitchen being hot. I do have A/C in my bedroom and it is very cool but I don't think it's right to just lock him up in there for the day. I really think the heat is starting to affect him as he is eating less, doesn't want to go for walks. So the only real alternative I have is to lock him up in my room. Is this a viable option?

I would keep him in the bedroom. IMHO that temperature is way too high. My three stay in our bedroom when we are gone and they are perfectly happy.

Not knowing the setup of the living room/kitchen, the only other suggestion would be to get another room AC, you can get one that doesn't need to sit in a window frame.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Betty

Now that we are in NC I keep the A/C on 74 or 75 ,when we were up in CT we only had window unit A/C I used to also hang the sheets from the door and the dogs were able to stay cool. :cool

Thank doG for central air I don't know how we lived without it - I don't like being hot! :o

I think hanging the sheet would be a greyt idea so he could come or go into the bedroom as he wants.

You said that your main living area is so big that you can't put a window unit in - just to let you know, they make units that are designed to cool entire floors of a home. We have one in our house. It's 15,000 BTU's and it cools our kitchen, dining room, and living room quite well. It was pricey - $500+, but well worth it, as it runs more efficiently. They also make some that are a bit smaller that might still be able to do it, like 10 or 12k BTU.

This is for informational purposes only. Feel free to do what you need/want/can afford to do.

:)

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~