Living Without A Spleen

I have recently adopted a new grey and she had her spleen removed at the time she was spayed. When the vet opened her up to do the spay she was bleeding internally and it was found that there was a hole in her spleen. They removed the spleen, which was sent to pathology, no cancer (Thank goodness). Does anyone have any experience with this? I will be taking her to my vet on Friday, but wanted to hear from you all. I will also be consulting with OSU in the near future.

Thanks.

Guest sheila

not sure about dogs, but my sister had her spleen removed when she was a child. Since then she is very prone to small things (like colds or cuts) becoming infected because the spleen is what takes care of the bodies natural immunity to things. My sister has to be very careful with her health because the smallest things could require anti-biotics and over time a body will build up resistance to anti-biotics.

At least this is the way I understand it

The only major complication I know of after removal of the spleen (in humans) is an increased chance of infections...

Everything I have read is increased chance of infection and cancer. Wondering if there is a special diet that could be better, perhaps supplements.

Guest Energy11
The only major complication I know of after removal of the spleen (in humans) is an increased chance of infections...

Everything I have read is increased chance of infection and cancer. Wondering if there is a special diet that could be better, perhaps supplements.

Yes, I know of a few humans who had their spleens removed. Two, due to automobile trauma. They get sicker, easier, etc, but, I know they take a lot of supplements, and eat very healthy! Probably would be the same for your baby ... lots of good food and supplements!

Guest kydie

My son was in a car crash in 1993, and had spleenectomey, the only thing recommended was a pneumovax every 5 years, it has not changed anything in his life, best of Luck to your pup

Guest LynnM

I've known many, many dogs minus their spleens and all lived normal, long lives.

You'd be amazed at how HUGE a cancerous spleen can get. Heck, even benign tumors get huge on dogs. I'm talking in the 8-9 pound range on an 80ish pound dog!

Lynn

Guest greytloves

My friend has a grey that had his spleen removed, other then complications because of erchliosis, infection and a loooonnnggg time for an injury to heal, he has lived many years without any life threatening problems.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

When my first greyhound was about 13 years old she had a large tumor on her spleen rupture. We had no idea anything was "wrong" prior. At the E-vet they asked me "when did she get hit by a car?" :eek

They also told me that she was "too old" to survive the surgery. She lived 2 months past her 15th birthday!

No spleen....no big deal.