What The Heck Is It?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? About a week ago, DH was petting Rusty, when he looked up at me in horror and said, "He has a toenail in his leg!" Thinking it was someone else's (somehow picked up in rough play, maybe), he gently extracted it, only to discover it was actually a sort of toenail-like growth--hard, hornlike, long and pointed just like an overgrown toenail/claw. Well, tonight we found another on his shoulder, though much smaller.

I know nails and hair are essentially the same thing, so I suppose this isn't so bizarre, but still. Very strange.

???

Can you get us some pictures?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I know exactly what you are talking about. My Sam had one on his back, just above his tail. It was kinda gross and like you said "hornlike." It looked very much like a toe nail. I discovered it as I was petting Sam while waiting for him to be seen by the vet. The doctor said it was some kind of cyst. I can't remember what kind off the top of my head. It was easily removed with a finger. It did bleed for a while. Fortunately it did not grow back yet, but the doctor said it could. We called it his "butt nail."

Guest JarBear

We had a foster who got them all the time. They were sebaceous (sp?) cysts and when they would open, the stuff that came out formed the horn like thing. We just pulled them off when we found them.

My bridge girl CoCo had things like that around her toes. It was one of the symptoms of her degenerative myelopathy. Don't have pics for you though, so hard to say if they are the same thing.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest KennelMom
We had a foster who got them all the time. They were sebaceous (sp?) cysts and when they would open, the stuff that came out formed the horn like thing. We just pulled them off when we found them.

:nod Our vet has given a similar explanation...overproduction of skin oils + dead skin cells. Echo gets them all the time...her brother Rocky, less frequently. Their dad, Grandpa, used to get them as well. Weird little things but nothing to worry about. I'll try to get a picture next time.

Atlas gets those all the time. They're benign growths and in most cases you can pluck them right off.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

My black boys get them. It's basically what DaisyDoodle said, what happens is that they rupture and a little of that nasty stuff will ooze out and harden. You can pull them right off. Sometimes you will see a raised white bump is left. Now this is gross, but if you squeeze the rest of the material out they will totally disappear.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My Cali had one growing out of one of her pads on her front right foot, one day it was there, didn't seem to cause pain and the next day it was gone, I am guessing she took care of it herself! No blood, no apparent pain and now, thankfully, it's gone. Freaked me out when I first saw it, looked just like a toenail growing out of the pad of her foot.

I just googled it and found a picture of one on a person's foot. Ewwww

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Warning! Do not Google "cutaneous horns". :blink:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Warning! Do not Google "cutaneous horns". :blink:

Ducky,

Did you not get the point when I put Ewwwww next to it. :eek

Trust me guys it is bad. :eek I think I need therapy after looking at THAT picture. I wonder if my company's health insurance would cover it, the therapy that is.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest JarBear

[

Ducky,

Trust me guys it is bad. :eek I think I need therapy after looking at THAT picture. I wonder if my company's health insurance would cover it, the therapy that is.

Did you look at it while you were at work? If so, it could qualify for a work comp claim. :lol

Ducky,

Did you look at it while you were at work? If so, it could qualify for a work comp claim. :lol

I did but being that I am a claims adjuster (not a work comp one though) I guess I will pass on that. Good thing I did not have lunch yet when I did otherwise I would have been :sick. I do learn something new here everyday.

Guest KiKi_Girl

Sorry, I should have put a warning after I gave you a name for it. I used to work for an oculoplastic surgeon and he had removed several of these growths from multiple patients.