Toenail Fell Off?

Last Tuesday, Max was running around in the yard with DH, playing fetch (he's better than a retriever!). When they were done, he laid in the grass for a bit and cooled off - maybe 10 minutes or so. He then came into the house with us, and once he was in, I noticed a nice, bloody trail of footsteps into the house! He had apparently torn off a toe nail and hadn't made a peep :rolleyes: ! It would not stop bleeding, so took him to the vet for half a jar of stypic powder and a club-foot wrap. It looked like a clean tear. He had appt for annual next day; vet took off wrap, all looked well. bloodwork came back fine - platlets a bit low but not abnormal for a grey, red blood cells good. The toe has continued to bother him a bit and he would favour it off and on. Would also keep bleeding a bit, when ever he would hit it (which, being a bit of a klutz, is kind of often), but basically progressing okay, I guess.

I found the nail today - it appears to have just fallen off, not been torn off as I had thought and is entirely intect. I know greys can get (are prone to?) SLO - is that was this is? It has never happened before and nothing else is wrong (that I can tell). I read Dr. Stacks info on SLO and I don't think the toe amputation is necessary for a definative diagnosis :eek :eek - should I just assume it is SLO and follow her recommended treatment? Should I wait and see if it happens again and then assume it is SLO? Is there anything else that could tell if it is SLO? What if it is SLO and we do not do anything? I wouldn't be questioning if I had found the nail, but it does make me wonder...

Thanks for any feedback. :)

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Was the whole nail gone (kwik and all)? Usually if it's SLO just the horny part (hard outside) comes off--if it all came off I would think it's more trama related.

It appears to be the whole thing, just completely detached. There is kind of a knubby stump at the end of his toe but I don't think that is the quik :unsure

Hmm, maybe I should try to take pics...

Guest trevdog

My friends have a greyhound with SLO, her nails got all flaky looking and started splitting and falling off within a period of a few months. I'd keep an eye on it myself, if it's only one nail. If the others start looking funny or breaking off I'd get him checked out.

If it's SLO, most of the nails will be affected, and I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but with SLO there isin't much bleeding if any at all.

He could have torn it off romping around.

It's not an amputation to dx, it's a bone graph, but very very rarely done if ever. An experienced vet/dermatologist will know SLO by just examining.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I don't know how a SLO nail looks, but I have seen nails broken off by trauma, and it looks and bleeds just like that. On the bright side, you may never need to trim it again.

:kiss2 Max

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I don't know how a SLO nail looks, but I have seen nails broken off by trauma, and it looks and bleeds just like that. On the bright side, you may never need to trim it again.

:kiss2 Max

The rest of the nails are very sturdy, no flakiness or brittleness, so hopefully it is indeed a tear off. I guess we'll just wait and see how the healing goes!